Citroen DS4 Forums banner

Great car maybe not so good for family

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Highway Star 
#1 ·
I have owned a 2012 ds4 for four years , love the car , however just had a baby and am now finding that Maybe it's not the best , the main issue is the rear , getting a baby in and out the rear is almost impossible. The doors don't open very wide , the back space is so small , the boot only just holds a Pram , any one else with a family finding these same issues ?

#2 ·
We didn't have ours when our son was young but until he was 2 our family car was my Audi A2 which took all the junk and then some, we used a roof box for holidays though. The rear door opening isn't huge and I would imagine a car seat might be a challenge to get through the gap although the space in there is fine once in, ditto the boot but you have to be careful on the set you buy - we had a Quinny Buzz 3 which we chose as it could be packed tall and narrow which fitted in the boot of the A2 perfectly, other travel systems would work better in the square boot.

#6 ·
Depends on your expectations - there are three of us (Mrs FB, 8-year old FB Junior and I) and the DS4 has been an excellent family car, the only times it's ever been pushed is when we carry rear seat passengers behind me as I'm 6'4" and there is very little leg room but if I lift the drivers seat then my 5'3" wife can sit behind me; a family we met in the lakes a few years ago had a DS4 and three kids in the back but as the Dad was about 5'10" legroom wasn't an issue. Once FB Junior is out of a booster seat (imminent) then he should be able to sit behind me fine. I hasten to add that all cars in this segment would, to a lesser or greater degree, be the same - it's not DS4 specific. I don't really want a bigger car though, our old Picasso felt like a bus.

As kids my sister and I used to be ferried all over in my Mum and Dad's Citroën Visa Special which wasn't very big and had a 34bhp 652cc flat-twin!

#8 ·
agree, leg room is tight in the rear, but for kids it's fine. we have an eight and ten year old, younger one still in high-backed isofix booster thing. find it easy to install on the isofix (some cars can be a nightmare clicking the seat into the brackets) and i think the doors open as wide or wider than some other hatchbacks we've owned - with their unusual shape actually aiding access to and from the car in car parks. we also have a civic tourer, which has tons of rear leg room, but the ds4 is wider and we can get three in the back (including the isofix seat), which we can't do in the Civic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.