DS4 battery change - Citroen DS4 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 4th July 2019, 09:17 Thread Starter

DS4 battery change

Just in case this helps others -

Stop start hasn't worked for a while on my just over 4 year old DS4, I suspected the battery. Took a bravery pill and a new AGM 096 battery and did the following.
Turned everything off, auto lights etc inc. Wound down drivers window and shut door and also opened bonnet. Went for a cuppa to give the car time to shut everything down.
Took off air cleaner cover and fuse box cover. Removed cover on top of battery to reveal lots of wire connectors with fuses. Fiddled around and found two (three?) clips that released them. Unclipped main power lead from battery. Undid 10 mm nut that realesed cable from fuse cable array that allowed it to be moved to the right a bit (as you look at it).Then pulled the plastic cover over the battery forward and up (sharp tug required) and it will slide out forwards. Now its a long extension and 10mm socket and undo the bolt at the bottom of the battery left side as you look at it to release the battery. Then undo the post clamp with the same socket and extension at the back of the battery and lift off the terminal (bit of a fiddle). Now pull the battery forward and up and its out!
Put the battery back in in reverse but leave connecting power until the last thing.
Then its BSI reset procedure.
Connect power.
10 seconds later turn on sidelights (or headlights) without opening the door a few seconds later turn on ignition by reaching through the open window.
Then the internet info varies.
I then started my car. All worked perfectly.
Some sources say turn off ignition and then back on and start, no idea which is correct.
Reset clock time and date and thats it.
I don't see my DS4 being that different to others but it is a fairly intimidating procedure for a first timer so make your own choice about getting it done for you or not.
After a short drive my stop start now works every time whereas it wasn't working at all before. I am sure the battery would have gone on for some time in normal use but these newish AGM batteries do seem to have a shorter life and cost alot more than the older lead acid type of batteries.
Good luck with yours

My DS4 is a 180bhp EAT6 2015 model

Citroens since 1969
Currently DS4 2.0hdi 180bhp EAT6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 4th July 2019, 10:01
Super Moderator

In the older DS4, non-stop-start, I just changed the battery and it had no effect any system, other than starting the car rather than a slow turnover and eventual clicking. Is there something different on the newer ones?

David
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 4th July 2019, 23:49 Thread Starter

I think there is David.

I have been involved with cars as a profession and as a hobby for over 50 years. Electronics have changed dramatically over that time. I have replaced many batteries but when I lifted the bonnet to change this one it was a completely different ball game to cars a few years older. The AGM battery is able to put out 70ah which is similar to a normal battery but at 760 ah cranking which is roughly double that of a lead acid battery, additionally it can take a massive charge rate to be able to do that after a few stop starts. But its all at a cost. The number of cycles is finite and if you have been in a stop start car it really does have a lot of restarts in traffic. I found it a surprise that the car does not use the starter to get it going again, it uses the alternator which gives an almost instant start. Additionaly we have the BSI which on a good day will accept battery removal and replacement but will throw up lots of gremlins if its not a good day. Safer to use the BSI reset method to avoid this issue as detailed. It wasn't an obvious - undo the battery and put a new one in either.

I had looked for guidance on changing the battery but could not find any so hoped this would help anyone like me who wanted to do it themselves.

Citroens since 1969
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 28th November 2019, 22:13 Thread Starter

And just incase anyone wonders - my stop start works perfectly and its now half a year later - and so does everyting else!

Citroens since 1969
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 14th November 2020, 04:57
DS4 Pro

Thanks for your original post, I’ve just followed it and it made what looked like a tricky job, quite straight forward.

Loving my DS4 DSport - 1.6 THP160, EAT6 speed auto, Blanc Nacre

"Most Beautiful Car of the Year, 2013"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 15th November 2020, 09:55 Thread Starter

Glad to be of help and - just over 16 months on - my stop start is still working fine

Citroens since 1969

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Citroen DS4 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page