Car forgot how to open doors and boot. - Citroen DS4 Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DeuxChevaux

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 30th November 2019, 12:10 Thread Starter
Groupie

Car forgot how to open doors and boot.

I've had my DS4 (keyless) since 2017 (never happened before) and had left it parked for around 3 hours yesterday. I got back from a walk and went to open the boot by just operating the boot handle, it wouldn't open. So I tried the boot open button (on the fob) and nothing happened.
Next I went to the drivers door and put my hand over the handle and nothing, tried the key open button, nothing. Tried the passenger door with the same result. So I took out the emergency key and tried it in the lock, still nothing. (tried both sides)
I decided to go for a drink before I called the RAC (it was a bit chilly) and the local pub was across the road. When I came back out again I thought I'd try the boot before making the call and it opened just using the handle (not fob button) and the same happened with the drivers door. Following this its fine and acts as normal, I've tried the key fob this morning from inside the house looking out at the driveway and it opened and locked.

I realise it could just be a software glitch and this is what the local dealer told me when I rang this morning, they don't see the point in having it booked in unless they can have it while it's faulty. I asked about the emergency key not working and they couldn't explain that.
I thought the whole point of the key was to get in if the electronics didn't work.

The only thing I noticed while I was trying to get in was the brake indicator on the electronic brake was lit as though it knew I was there and something had woken up. I didn't notice the dashboard.

Any thoughts anyone.?

Previous Citroens, GS Hatch, GS Estate, DS Special, GSA Hatch, BX, Xantia & C4 1.6 Petrol 05 SX Hatchback. Now DS4 Prestige 210.(2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 30th November 2019, 22:23

There are occasions wher a local transmitting source can block your keys abilities to work, used to be a regular issue with cars not opening etc because of something that was drowning out the keys signal - maybe?
neilp likes this.

Citroens since 1969
Currently DS4 2.0hdi 180bhp EAT6
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 1st December 2019, 11:35 Thread Starter
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuxChevaux View Post
There are occasions wher a local transmitting source can block your keys abilities to work, used to be a regular issue with cars not opening etc because of something that was drowning out the keys signal - maybe?
Thanks for that. Yes it could be although I've parked in that carpark before and never had a problem, but could have just been at that specific instance. Only time will tell.

Previous Citroens, GS Hatch, GS Estate, DS Special, GSA Hatch, BX, Xantia & C4 1.6 Petrol 05 SX Hatchback. Now DS4 Prestige 210.(2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 3rd December 2019, 14:51 Thread Starter
Groupie

Just as an additional note (for any others) it's not happened again since Friday, now the following Tuesday. I notice today when I put my hand on the door handle the electronic handbrake symbol lights. When the doors wouldn't open the symbol was lit. So something was detecting the key even though the doors, or boot wouldn't open.

Still don't understand why the emergency key wouldn't open the doors though.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 8th March 2020, 21:24 Thread Starter
Groupie

And finally after another failure outside my house while the car was unlocked, I found it was the key fob battery. The battery measured 2.8volts (instead of 3.3volts and once the battery was replaced it hasn't failed since. In the second instance I couldn't start the car or lock the doors.

The handbook states there should be a warning on the dashboard display, (for low fob battery) but there wasn't and the manual key doesn't work when in that state.

The car went for a service and the Citroen garage couldn't explain the two items above.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Citroen DS4 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page