Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, fairly new to this site and joined to see if anybody has had any similar trouble with their DS4.
In Nov 12 I bought a brand new DS4 from a main dealer. Only a few months later I have experienced problems with the vehicles acceleration. This is a temperamental fault that happens in any gear, at any engine speed. The vehicle has decided to judder and loss of power is felt while trying to accelerate. This feels like what you would get if you were in too low a gear.
Now this is felt throughout the car and not in the steering wheel. Being an engineer myself, this feels like a cylinder misfire but on a diesel engine? From my knowledge it screams an air leak from somewhere within the system.
The car has been back to the dealer several times but they have only been able to reproduce the fault once and have failed to fix it, the car is still under warranty so I will not touch it. Diagnostics are not producing any codes and there are no warning lights. Does anyone know of the best way of dealing with these people? Or of any other faults similar to this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
Ihave had similar fault with my car for over a year and it's been back four times to hve the fault rectified. Each time with temporary success but within a few days/weeks the same fault returns. They initially change a sensor but since have reprogramed the "learning injectors" which has some success but it always returns. citroen ave said it may be a driving characteristic of the car! Mine only usually happens at slow engine speeds (1000 - 1200RPM) and the Tacho flashes, the car drives like it is misfiring and the fan is always on whenever I stop, indicting high engine temeratures.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank God it's not just me. My DS4 1.6HDI is only 6 months old with 8k mileage and over the last few months has started to hesitate at low speeds. It only happens for the first couple of minutes after start up, but can be quite severe and embarrassing.
Don't know if it's a misfire or fuel starvation or perhaps a fuel mixture setting issue as it doesn't seem to happen in cold weather. I was going to wait until the first service but have decided to get it into dealer earlier then that.
I will keep looking at site to see what others think.
Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have just had the same thing over the past week. To tell the truth, it sounds like a bag of spanners for the first couple of minutes and then is OK. The car is 1.6HDi on a '62 plate, so covered under warranty, hopefully. I have contacted local dealer and have a diagnostic appointed booked for next Thursday.

I am getting the bubbling paint on the bonnet photographed whilst I am there.Edited by: GIJ's DS4

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just to update, diagnostics done today. Came back as EGR valve fault. For me, this is the third car (Saab 9-3, C5 being the two others) so I must be unfortunate. Booked in for 2/6/14 to do work for 2 days. It is a matter of "following the steps" apparently until it is sorted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Must be a 12 plate thing. I had the rusty bonnet as well, was replaced. Still no luck with misfire though but armed with info about EGR valve I'm going back to them again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Misfire problem..my ds4 out of main dealers for third time today and hopefully rectified..My misfire only seemed to happen in the afternoon when the temp was warm outside.(strange I know).
But the technician I spoke to said citroen have just brought out an update which he had to programme my car via the internet for this specific problem.
This was after they re programmed my injectors.
Fingers crossed problem solved.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My DS4 1.6HDI went into dealer today to solve the hesitation, stalling, knocking which sometimes occurs after start up. After reading other peoples comments on this site, I thought it might be the EGR Valve sticking, but just heard that dealer believes it's a software issue and is currently downloading a fix from the Citroen website.
I hope it solves the problem, its really awful to drive for at least 5 minutes when it happens.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Had an odd similar problem today which my wife's experienced before (although to be fair I didn't believe her at the time
). Starting from cold on a slightly inclined drive, reversing out, and not enough power to get out, car actually started to roll forward instead of going back and had to brake pretty sharpish. Tried several times to get out both with and without the parking brake/hill start assist, and still couldn't make it.

I tried an old fashioned approach of revving the engine, but for some reason it wouldn't go above 2000 revs. On the next attempt I (just) got it out. If I hadn't have noticed the 2000 rev thing I would have maybe been tempted to say the clutch was slipping, but it was certainly odd to say the least. Outside temp sensor was reading 26 today, and car had been sat in the sun for a while (no air con on to account for lack of power or hesitation either).

Anyone had anything similar? No warning lights or anything came on the dash - I almost thought it might have gone into limp home mode, but once I got it out it was fine. 1.6 HDI on a 61 plate.

Think i will get it booked in to get them to have a look at it, but any comments welcomed. Car has been serviced in the last 1000 miles so wouldn't have thought it to be an update issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
hmm exactly the same this morning again, although I could rev it more freely this time - thankfully I parked with the nose pointing out to the road just in case last night. Booked into the dealer for this afternoon. Oh and it smelled a bit plasticy/rubbery - not quite a clutch smell but still nasty nonetheless.Edited by: APM

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yesterday I would have said yes, but after today I'm not so sure. It's on test at the moment so hopefully they'll identify what the problem is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
No fault found but have updated software and keeping car overnight to test again tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Would it not be simpler all round if dealers were to update software when servicing, if required? Surely this would negate a lot of these issues?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine is going back next Monday (2/6/14) for a coupleofdays (or more!) as they found an EGR issue on diagnostic two weeks or so ago and they need to "follow the steps" in clearing the issue - including getting Citroen technical involved if required.
I might suggest that whatever "updates" it needs, they are to put them on whilst it is there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It'd certainly be worth suggesting, at the last service I mentioned about the bluetooth problems and they checked when I asked, it seems as if they don't have confidence in their own updates in a way, only applying them if there's a problem rather than being pro-active.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Problem still not reproduced unfortunately - apparently the latest update has some fixes for stuttering/hesitancy - but who knows! Also mentioned it might be related to a hill-start assist sticking but no faults showing up, but we'll just have to see if it pops up again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well have it back now and the engine certainly seems a lot smoother even on just normal driving let alone idle, acceleration also seems a lot smooth and less lumpy. 3 alloys out of the 4 to be replaced and hopefully a reasonably priced fix for the other one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 1.6HDI went into dealers last week and they want it in for a few days more ! Apparently they couldn't recreate the problem and Citroen are insisting on that. It's not surprising as it was a cold, wet day and I'm sure it only happens when weather is warm.
I think they did a software upgrade as it seems a little more eager to accelerate, but the hesitation and stuttering came back a few days ago for a few minutes. Looks like I'm going to have to drive their C1 loan car for a few days.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts