Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm considering buying a used DS4 as our "family" car (to replace our ageing Golf) but am unsure whether to wait for one with 19" alloys (I think they're called "cairn"?). I've only test-driven a couple of diesel variants and both had the 18" wheels - ride quality seemed ok to me. Mind you, I'm used to a firm ride in my Renaultsport Megane which also has 19" diamond cut alloys, but the DS4 will be primarily for my wife on a day-to-day basis!

I think the car visuallybenefits from the larger 19" wheels, but can anyone comment on whether the ride quality is noticeably firmer than on the 18" wheels? My local dealer doesn't have one with 19" wheels in at present....

Cheers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not a lot between them IMO I went for standard 18" on my DS4 and they look good, handle well and ride well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've got the 19" cairns on mine, no probs with the ride, handling is good and they look awesome

·
Registered
29 Posts
After reading a few reviews about the cars, I was a bit apprehensive about the 19 inch rims, they seemed to say that the dsport gave a harsh ride!!!! So after road testing a red dsport I was pleasantly surprised. My last car was a xantia and that was a lovely ride but the dsport DS4 was comfy aswell just firmer as expected.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The 19's suit the car well, the ride is hard but not harsh, however the tyres are quite a bit more than 18's

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the 19" wheels on my car. Prior to purchase I test drove DS4's with both wheel sizes and the ride is as you would expect is a little firmer.
However a lot of the ride issues are down to the UK roads - hardly the best!
On descent road surfaces it wouldn't make any difference. However as has already been said, the Cairns wheels do look fantastic on the car.
Regards
Keith

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies.

I took a DS4 with 19" alloys for a test drive this morning. I have to say it IS a firmer ride than on the 18" wheels (I took another one with 18" wheels out immediately afterwards to compare).

For what we want the car for (it's the main family car) I've ruled out the 19" wheels. Whilst they look great, the ride is too firm for us (I get enough of that in my RS Megane), and as has been mentioned above added to the firmness is the extra expense of tyres and added risk of kerbing the alloys (my wife will be driving it more than me).

That makes my search a little easier as it seems 90% of used DS4's are on the 18" wheels...

·
Registered
176 Posts
We tested both back to back too sure to some of the online reviews and we're very pleasantly surprised at the rise quality and went for a DSport with 19" wheels. The rise is firm but not harsh which is what we like and don't regret it at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts