Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anybody tell me how to release the handbrake when the engine is switched off

went to car wash yesterday and had to go through with my engine running there must be a way

anybody ?????

·
Registered
470 Posts
You can release the handbrake with the ingition on only, pull the brake till the light goes out at the same time pressing on the brake pedal. It works!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I believe that you're able to release the brake with the ignition on (but not the engine running).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine doesn't work by pressing the brake pedal but it does by pressing the accelerator.I went thru the car wash on Saturday and explained to the attendant I needed to go thru with the engine running as I struggle to release the handbrake. He told me lots of cars have to do this now especially Audis.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Accelarator you say? Hmm, strange, what's your engine and trim level, is it stick or automatic? Edited by: DShark

·
Registered
23 Posts
it's a dStyle 16 EGS diesel with all extras.Reading from the manual it says:
"With the ignition on or the engine running toreleasethe parking brake, press on the brake pedal or theaccelerator, pull then release control A"
The brake option doesn't work but theacceleratordoes

·
Registered
470 Posts
So that's how it is...

BTW, you get different trim levels in the UK, in Poland the entry level is called Chic, next is So Chic, level 3 Sport Chic and there alsoa trimthat comes with all extras possible called Pure Pearl (only in black or white).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Out of curosity I checked if mine does that trick with the acceleration pedal, but it doesn't. The only way to release the handbrake with the ignition on is using the brake pedal and pulling the handbrake.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Mine works either when I pull away with a little bit of throttle or with the brake, when its cold to stop the handbrake locking on I turn off the engine, apply the foot brake and release the handbrake then just leave the car in gear when I turn the ignition off I do get warned to apply the handbrake but just ignore it

·
Registered
470 Posts
Any idea why the new automtic gearbox units do not come with automatic handbrake any more? 2011 models have both automatic gearbox (which btw is different to the new one) and automatic handbrake as well. From all I know the new gearboxes are made in Japan but those old (smaller) ones looked better.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sorry my car is a manual so can't help there

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ive tested mine, When the engine is not running you have to switch on the ignition and press the brakepedal todisengage the parking brake,only when the engine is running will itdisengage by itself when pressing the accelerator when pulling off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts