Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

can anyone explain to me when the handbrake will put itself on? I love the fact it takes itself off, but never applies itself. I live on the Marsh so not many hills, but i thought that if i sit at traffic lights in neutral and no pedals pressed it would apply itself. Also when i pull up wherever im going and get out, it just alarms at me and still doesnt apply.

Am i missing something?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ignition off is the only time I know that the car does it on it's own accord.

I don't see why you would expect it to apply itself all the time though. I'd get annoyed if it did it too often. It takes seconds to flick the switch and you don't even need to take it off to move on.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Car handbrake should apply, when engine stops and release when you set off. Anything more than that it would need to be driving to know when to do it.What you do have is when you stop and press footbrake a 'hillhold' facility that keeps you stationary for a few seconds.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The handbrake will put itself on when you switch off the car engine. If in neutral when engine is running, it does not put itself on unless you pull it manually and the red light comes on.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just apply it like a "normal" handbrake if you need it in trafficAlso if you hold it for a few seconds it applies more brake pressure if you're on a hill for example

·
Registered
395 Posts
Chud
I was not aware that holding down handbrake button put more pressure on brakes - is that correct?
The car has a hill start function anyway when you press foot brake, it holds the car on a slope for a few seconds before releasing fully.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Rich.kath

Chud is correct it is meant for when you park on a steep hill and leave the car more than for a hill start where as you say the 4 or 5 second hold does the job

·
Registered
395 Posts
thanks deresim,I'll use that info in future.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did know about the extra pull, but i was told its supposed to auto apply if you roll back on a steep hill.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts