Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all.

Do i really have to select Auto-Wipers everytime i start the car? isnt there a way of putting them on permanently like the auto lights?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Surely you only need to switch the auto wipers on when it's actually raining? There isn't any way of setting it permanently on and I believe that is due to possibility of damage to the wipers in frosty weather. If the windscreen is frozen and the wiper blades are stuck to the screen, having the auto wipers set to on would cause them to attempt to wipe as soon as you start the car and potentially damage the wipers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point. I didnt think of it like that. Oh well, i suppose ill have to turn them on like they used to do in the old days.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Slapheadyeti said:
Morning all.

Do i really have to select Auto-Wipers everytime i start the car? isnt there a way of putting them on permanently like the auto lights?

It's the same on BMW's too :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
There is a good reason for the autowipers to need resetting.
If set to come on all the time, what happens in winter, when its icy- yep! Ripped wipers or broken ones as they try to autowipe when window frozen.
All cars I know with autowipers do this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My previous car, 2009 Merc B200 the auto wipers were 'always on'. Never had a problem in winter, they obviously had a delay programmed in when the temp dipped to a certain level.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm happy the way it is now.I owned a Chevrolet and during winter when I was cleaning the window it always hit me.
So I had to turn it off.
Better to do it otherwise.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Birksy you obviously have no snow / ice in Enfield or you garage your car all the time.Anybody who has had a frozen screen knows that auto wipers will burn out the motor trying to move them. Its only a single motion on entering car - once - hardly a major issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Granted London doesn't get as much snow & ice as other parts of the country, but was never a problem. I'd start the engine, clear the screen then just flick the stalk for a single wipe override then they were back on auto again. Its not a major issue but did take a while to remember that they were not 'always on' auto wipers.

·
Registered
231 Posts
my bmw was the same as Citroen, you reset every time.

I don't have a problem with that, the disappointment for me is the fact Citroen set the wipers up for left hand drive car so every time I use them it leaves a water line right though my vision

·
Registered
227 Posts
My RAV had auto wipers that were selected by stalk - so you could have then enabled all the time. Not sure if they had any detection for ice or obstructions to prevent damage?
It also had Auto-lights (think the DS4 DStyle does as well?). I found he Autolights never really came on soon enough for my liking - I teen to put the lights on when the light starts to drop a bit rather then when it goes dark dark! They were good for tunnels and car parks though

·
Registered
395 Posts
Auto lights and wipers can only do so much - you may expect too much for it to have AI and know all about ice on screen and cloudy sky etc. Sometimes we have to participate in the driving experience, otherwise pre-order the Google car!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Well said Rich. Modern cars have so many gadgets that lots of drivers forget its us who drive the dam things are in control of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts