Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone local who knows about stop/start car batteries? Voltage accross poles reads around 12 to13v and with engine running it is between 14 to 16v, when trying to start the car I just get a loud ticking and a message that reads 'engine fault, repair needed, when I connect a charge pack it starts instantly, also the stop/start and ' eco mode ' don't appear to be working, any help will be appreciated before spending 拢150+ on a new battery. 馃ゴ馃

Registered
Battery full charge should be 12.7volts, however they are a fragile thing and will fail at an alarming rate, ie one day fine and next day.....Yours does seem to be in that group
You didn't say how you use the car which can make a big difference. Mine used to travel each day but during lock down has done very few miles which means no stop start working. I have got it working with an AGM battery charger to boost the battery which works for a few weeks until lack of use means reduced charge in the battery. That said normal starting has worked well. Tayna batteries www.tayna.co.uk seem to be one of the best priced places to replace your battery if needed

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, like you the car has not been used a great deal during lockdown. I have a battery jump starter and the car fires up instantly when I use it, hopefully I'll be getting the battery checked properly in the morning, I only hope the garage doesn't tell me the battery is knackered so I spend 拢150+ on a battery I don't need. If it turns out the battery is knackered I will most likely upgrade to the AGM battery which I will fit myself, it will probably take all day as it is a nightmare on the DS4 馃ゴ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I replaced the dead battery with a shiny new AGM battery (拢160), but was just wondering, when I am at a standstill out of gear the eco light flashes but the engine doesn't cut out as it should, am I missing something obvious here?

Registered
Well I replaced the dead battery with a shiny new AGM battery (拢160), but was just wondering, when I am at a standstill out of gear the eco light flashes but the engine doesn't cut out as it should, am I missing something obvious here?
It may be worthwhile to fully charge the battery, even though its new, and see how it goes from there. I had one fitted a few months ago, however I don't think it was fully charged when fitted (possibly due to being sat on a shelf for months) and the stop/start only worked for a couple of weeks following the fitting. I connected an AGM charger at the start of this month and the diagnostic screen showed the battery at less than 50% charge. Five hours of charging later, the battery was at 100% and the stop/start has been working fine since.

My daily commute is around 11 miles each way in mixed traffic, and I suspect that this isn't enough to keep the battery fully charged. Maybe the alternator output of these cars isn't up to the job?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply, I had the battery on charge in situ overnight and this was followed by a 200 mile round trip, still no stop/start but I'm sure I read somewhere that if the ambient temp is high it affects it, this may of course be a load of bollocks but as long as the car starts it's not that much of a problem at the moment.

Registered
Thanks for the reply, I had the battery on charge in situ overnight and this was followed by a 200 mile round trip, still no stop/start but I'm sure I read somewhere that if the ambient temp is high it affects it, this may of course be a load of bollocks but as long as the car starts it's not that much of a problem at the moment.
If it is because the temp is high then a message will appear on the speedo screen that it is disabled. The ECO button will also show an amber light.
Did that on mine this week.

Registered
I had a quick scan through the handbook over the weekend and it mentions a period of up to 8 hours immobilisation after charging, to ensure correct functioning of the stop/start. Bizarre.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts