Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all thanks Vexorg for trying to help a cut out problem on my 1.6 Hdi. I should have mentioned another oddity with my car and this concerns the brakes. When I bought it last year from a local garage I took it back to check them out as it over brakes so severely to scare the life out of you. I was told that all DS4's have this irregular braking system and I'll just have to get used to it. The car certainly stops quickly without skidding but God Forbid if your seat belt isn't in properly you'd go through the windscreen. Is this correct ? Thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, they are brilliant aren't they? Early Citroens (DS19, 21,23) and later BX models had power brakes operated by a button or pedal attached to a valve so were very good indeed without effort from the driver. When the C5 arrived they tried to emulate that effortless braking with assistance. This is what certain models of the DS4 have (usually more powerful engined ones). I have had DS4's since 2014 and think they are brilliant as you get assistance but with feel so you can judge your braking precisely. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,048 Posts
I wouldn't call them irregular, just more powerful than the average car.

But nothing make you head for the windscreen like going for the clutch on a gear change in an automatic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Deux Chevaux and Vexorg for your information on DS4 brakes. I've had many Citroen cars including a BX, Zantia,Tsara, Piccaso and C3 Piccaso all of them have a different concept to driving which motivates innovation,trouble is 'run of the mill' cars vary only slightly, the driver does not have to adapt..

·
Super Moderator
1,048 Posts
The DS4 is very run of the mill compared to other citroens. Standard brakes, standard suspension, no different to most cars out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my used 2016 DS4 3 weeks ago from tradecentre Wednesbury, and when driving out of the gate, I braked slightly and stopped very suddenly! I was used to driving a 2013 Nissan Note, and various vans. The all wheel discs are a step up from that level of vehicle. Very nice once you get used to the superior performance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought my used 2016 DS4 3 weeks ago from tradecentre Wednesbury, and when driving out of the gate, I braked slightly and stopped very suddenly! I was used to driving a 2013 Nissan Note, and various vans. The all wheel discs are a step up from that level of vehicle. Very nice once you get used to the superior performance.
I agree that once you get used to the severe brakes they are very good but first week I had the car I very nearly put my wife's head through the windscreen, it was a reflex brake action. The seat belt stopped her but her head was thrown violently forward. There is such a thing as being too good though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts