Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my 2013 1.6 dstyle, that I have owned for two weeks, I have been worried about the brakes. Whilst very powerful, they feel spongy. I was concerned that the master cylinder was failing as I could gradually, with pressure, get the pedal to the floor, especially when holding on stop start.
Today I got it checked out with my local main dealer who told me it is a characteristic of the braking system and to reassure me, took me on a test drive in a 2015 1.6 manual. Guess what, it was the same!
I am used to a firm, little movement, pedal that compresses the fluid in a single push, not one that can be pushed to the floor, albeit gradually.
Is this the result of a particular type of servo? My brother in law has a C4 grand Picasso 2014 1.6 d new type and his brakes seem normal. Do all ds4 allow the brake pedal to go to the floor when running with firm pressure?
Maybe the engineers tried to ape the brakes on a 1970s ds21,hugely over servoed due to the air system fitted,but I find it a bit weird.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Simple answer...NoMine goes no where near the floor
I would be getting more opinions on this

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I think it's strange that a new car can do the same. I will try to button hole another owner to see if it is a characteristic or a fault. I stress that the brakes are strong, it maybe the system is difficult to bleed and there is a small amount of air in therethere. Is yours got start?

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
No it hasn't got Stop/StartMine is the 160Hdi DSport 2014

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi, my 1.6 hdi does the same as did my previous C4 and Hyundi i30. with the engine on tickover press the brake firmly the pedal slowly sinks not right to the floor but a fair way down. I was informed this is unique to diesel engines as they have a vacum pump and is down to that and the servo. It's like if with engine off pump the brake pedal to empty the servo keep your foot on the brake and start the engine your brake pedal will drop as the servo fills.
But phone around a few garages to confirm of course, that is basically what two garages told me when I was concerned about my brakes.

Regards Guyon

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello Hikky, further to my previous reply....what you have is called diesel creep if you go to http/www.brakesink.co.UK/htm#technote202 it explains it properly and its not a problem.
Hope this helps Guyon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guyon, I will see the technical note. I haven't had a diesel for over 10 years and this must be a new phenomenon. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts