Citroen DS4 Forums banner

Decision time......stay with DS4 or drop to DS3

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Hoovie 
#1 ·
The end of my 3 year lease is rapidly approaching and I need to decide whether I'm going to buy (on Elect 3) another DS4 DSPORT HDi 160 or drop down to the equivalent DS3. I commute 66 miles a day, half on the M25 and half on the A41, so two very different speeds and surfaces. I don't need a car the size of a DS4 and have test driven a DS3 DSTYLE, but wasn't overwhelmed. My dealt doesn't have a DSPORT DS3 so I'm looking to see if any others around here do, so I can try one.

Pros of the DS4: quieter in the cabin, fully loaded with extras (Xenon cornering headlights, front/rear/overtaking sensors, sculpted seats, etc, etc). A real driver's car.

Cons: £1000 to change all 4 tyres, wheels that kerb damage really easily, not brilliant mpg (I get around 48), heavy on insurance (as a lease car it's £1200/year!!!). Tax is high too.

My heart says DS4, but my head says DS3

Any thought from those who have owned/driven both enough to compare?

#2 ·
I liked both to be honest, but the one thing that put me off the DS3 was the cruise control/limiter stalk compared to the DS4. It's the one thing I love about the DS4 is that it's easy to flick this on off with ease, whereas with the DS3 it's hidden in the old fashioned way behind the steering wheel.

Other than that I think the DS3 is a more fun drive for around the doors, it handles better in the corners and feels more grounded in the rain/wind.

Just cos it's a lease car shouldn't cost any more to insure, mine is a straight hire, and once you get the insurers head around the fact you don't own the car it isn't any more expensive.

#3 ·
I've only driven the DS3 in 1.6VTi DStyle spec - I really liked pretty much everything about it although found a lack of lumbar support which would probably get on my nerves eventually but the seats in the DSport look more accommodating. Downsizing does bring many financial benefits though although I think your economy wouldn't improve as much as you imagine!

Now we have a DS4 I wouldn't change it for a DS3, but they are popular for a reason. Why not a DS4 1.6HDi to keep the flavour but save a few quid?

#4 ·
Ive owned both ...... Had no problems with the DS3 at all was a great little car, comfortable, not a single thing annoyed me. However the DS4 seems to have loads of annoying little things such as the wipers, nearside wing mirror issues, Emyway has never worked properly, not as comfortable drivers seat wont quite go where I want it etc etc.

Saying all that I wouldn't go down to a DS3 from the 4, now as for a DS5????

#6 ·
SurreySam said:
The end of my 3 year lease is rapidly approaching and I need to decide whether I'm going to buy (on Elect 3) another DS4 DSPORT HDi 160 or drop down to the equivalent DS3. I commute 66 miles a day, half on the M25 and half on the A41, so two very different speeds and surfaces. I don't need a car the size of a DS4 and have test driven a DS3 DSTYLE, but wasn't overwhelmed. My dealt doesn't have a DSPORT DS3 so I'm looking to see if any others around here do, so I can try one.

Pros of the DS4: quieter in the cabin, fully loaded with extras (Xenon cornering headlights, front/rear/overtaking sensors, sculpted seats, etc, etc). A real driver's car.

Cons: £1000 to change all 4 tyres, wheels that kerb damage really easily, not brilliant mpg (I get around 48), heavy on insurance (as a lease car it's £1200/year!!!). Tax is high too.

My heart says DS4, but my head says DS3

Any thought from those who have owned/driven both enough to compare?
Re wheels and tyres ....
I am sure if you shop aound you can get 4 premium brand tyres for a lot less then £1,000.
What is it about the wheels on the DS4 that damage so easily that the DS3 would not also suffer from?

#7 ·
Hi Hoovie, managed to find some replacements on Black Circle for sunstantially less, but when I first changed them, about 16 months ago, Michelin and Continental we're the only ones available. The wheel design if the standard 17" wheel for the DS3 looks slightly different to the Cairn 19" on the DS4 and (I'm hoping) the DS3 being a smaller car I hope to have better visibility and social awareness when it comes to parallel parking!

Decision made; have ordered DS3 DSPORT Plus. Delivery some time in July.

#8 ·
Point taken on visibility for parallel parking and subsequent inadvertent kerbing!
I wish the auto-mirror drop on reverse was a standard feature.
I picked up my new DS5 today, which means a change from 18" diamond cut wheels to 17" single-tone painted wheels, so any kerbing will be a LOT cheaper to fix
(and the reversing camera will hopefully help too!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.