Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How have you found the performance of the Denon upgrade?Soon after leaving the showroom I noticed the sound lacked depth and the bass isn't great. I still feel this after trying various settings.

IKH

·
Registered
21 Posts
Agreed but having compared the sound quality of the Denon Upgrade with the standard unit I didn't think it was much better. The better (only) option To improve the bass is an aftermarket small powered subwoofer. I had a fairly basic kenwood one installed, £200 all in, and the results were spectacular. They're very small, designed to fit under the front seat. However with all the paraphernalia under the ds4's front seats there's no room there, so I opted to have it fitted on the carpet just below the back seat. It's easily removable if I want an extra back seat passenger (though surely nobody that buys a ds4 gets it to regularly carry people in the back!?). Alternatively it can go in the boot, and it's smaller than the Denon subwoofer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I haven't heard the basic system as mine came with Denon, but I'm happy with it having adjusted the settings. I'm not sure that having the subwoofer in the boot is the best place for it though.
So far as the base sound is concerned, when I went to pick up my wife a few weeks ago and was sitting with music playing, she did say she could hear the base thump from quite a way off!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had my DS4 for 10 months. It came with the Denon upgrade and like many posts here, Iam not convinced it was worth the premium. The bass is not that brilliant but is better than the std speaker set up..question is would i spend the additional money a second time and the answer is probably not...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think that is the only option I never splashed out on, from these posts I am glad I saved my money

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply.

Before I posted my message I had already contacted Denon direct. My comments have been passed to the ''Premium Sound'' Team and I await a reply.

Did you keep the Denon sub in the car as well? Also, with how I feel at present I think I may have to consider your solution! I miss the Bose system I had in my Mazda 3 Sport (recently traded in)!

IKH

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your reply.

Try at some time to hear a Bose system in a car (there was one in a Mazda 3 I traded in) and you'll notice a significant difference!

IKH

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi AKH, I wasn't sure if it was my suggestion you were thinking of adopting but if you're interested what i had installed was a Kenwood KSC-SW01. Before that I'd also had installed JL audio TR650-CSi components to replace the front door speakers and tweeters. That on its own didn't make so much difference as the sub. But even if you went for both upgrades with a reputable installer it would still be much cheaper than the Denon, be quite unobtrusive, and sound better than the Denon. The standard head unit is good enough for most people - and I'm pretty fussy - if you bring it to life like this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Heya,

I didn't opt for the Denon hifi upgrade which i regretted at first but hearing one the other day im glad i didnt. Ive fitted Armageddon Twin 12" Active subwoofer in the boot it cost me £100 and took 20 mins to wire in and its great. The standard speakers i feel are more than enough for sound quality.

Anyone considering fitting a sub in the boot if you get a flat or thin sub you can actually strap around the sub and attach it to the babyseat loop on bottom of the back of seats so you don't need to damage the car trying to stop it sliding around :).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Malc

Yes it was your suggestion and my investigations have also brought me to the Kenwood Sub you fitted.

It gets good reviews.... is that your experience?

IKH

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it's excellent. There seem to be one or two slightly cheaper ones on the market but I think that's probably a false economy. On the other hand I don't think there's any point in anything more powerful. It gives the systems sound a punch it was completely lacking before. I think it's probably best fitted in the cabin so long as you can live with one of your back seats having something in the footwell (though it's easy to take out). Don't know if the results would be so impressive in the boot. I'm sure you could save money doing a DIY install but I wasn't about to do that on a new car...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just wondering how difficult it is to get to the "out" wires for the sub? Would'nt mind doing this myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts