Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adjust your caravan mirrors by going outside and doing it rather than leaning across inside the car, because when you come back you might just knock (and I mean knock, not hit or wallop) the rear view mirror with your elbow and shatter the windscreen, ideally don't do it minutes before setting off on holiday. Thankfully the replacement is being fitted today so only a 24 hour delay...

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Oh dear !!
Hope its fixed soon

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did swear, even more so when Autoglass could only get someone Toni's for Wednesday - thankfully they were able to pull out the stops due to the holiday and one of the technicians agreed to work the vertime.

Arrived on holiday 24 hours late - Mrs FB was quite relaxed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good job you weren't on your way to France otherwise you would have missed your ferry.
Did they fit an original Citroen screen or is it a pattern part, any problems damage to trim etc due to fitting.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know, thankfully France is not until the summer holidays!

It's a non Citroën part (which doesn't bother me) but I will need to take it back as there is a lack of a full seal at the bottom or some insulation has been disturbed - no wind noise but you can hear the turbo encredibly loudly 'whistling' away under any sort of throttle (you always could hear it a little under hard acceleration, but this sounds like a Dyson is switched on when it starts sucking!)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Crikey. Just a knock you say, and the windscreen smashed ?
That big piece of glass would have given you a massive surprise.
Good to hear that you got it fixed and that it didn't screw up your plans too much.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, only a knock - I didn't whack it or anything like that - the problem is that the windscreen bends outwards so is weaker when pushed from inside rather than outside - I should know better, I put the rear view mirror back in my A2 about 8 years ago and did the same thing as it 'clunked' home but that just shattered the base and I could still use the car - the DS4's windscreen was decimated and yes it is a big piece of glass!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oh dear but glad you got it sorted. If ever you need a temp repair in emergencies Halfords sell them, no good if the entire screen is gone though.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the repair came...and went.

The technician found a hole in the sealant but this hasn't fixed it - I'm 99% sure now that there is damage to the pipe that brings fresh air into the centre vents caused by the technician who replaced the windscreen.

New screen being fitted on the 12th, I'll be having a good look wheh the screen is off...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All sorted.

There was a gap in the adhesive but the second tech hadn't been able to fill it - when the guy who came today showed me it was very clear how the noise was getting in! New screen is fitted in and all as it should be, I don't think Autoglass will be very pleased with the first chap as its cost the, tel extra visits and another windscreen, the bloke that came today reckoned they cost about £600!

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Glad its all sorted Frank
Be careful from now on! LOL

·
Super Moderator
1,056 Posts
Are all DS4 mirror setups the same? I know some cars with auto-dim have a different fixing to those without, not sure if the DS4 is like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts