Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hand brake electric switch appears to be misaligned/detached internally causing an error message and failure to engage. The actual mechanical part of the switch appears to have become detached and and if activated by pulling the left side of the switch causes it to twist and stick. The whole switch appears to be loose.I've have a couple of close shaves when realising the brake has not activated. I have had to wiggle the switch about and turn off the ignition to rest the error. The hand brake appears to work fine when turning off the ignition if error free.

Does anyone know whether this would be covered under the warranty on DS4 2013?

Apart from this issue and not having cup holders the car has been fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but then you've got an ash tray rattling about lol. Even my MX5 had 2 cup holders in the centre console and one in each door. I know the DS4 door stores a 2 litre bottle but no good for a cup. An accessory to fit inside the centre arm rest for 2 cups would be ideal.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Delboy192 said:
Yeah but then you've got an ash tray rattling about lol. Even my MX5 had 2 cup holders in the centre console and one in each door. I know the DS4 door stores a 2 litre bottle but no good for a cup. An accessory to fit inside the centre arm rest for 2 cups would be ideal.
couldn't agree more

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well car in Arnold Clarke just got voice message "we have traced the fault to the hand brake switch, we can order that for you for £133, your two rear tyres are at 2 and 3mm and your f/o/s drivers tyre is 3mm, manufacturer recommends they are replaced at 3mm and we can order them at £236" then she faulters and doesn't use the word EACH. No mention of VAT or fitting.

I told them what the fault was " it is a physical fault with the switch, can you let me know if the warranty will cover this?" I said this twice when scheduling an appointment and booking it in.

I took the car to a tyre garage 2 weeks ago after curbing and damaging the r/o/s tyre and then checked and found slight tyre wall damage to the f/n/s tyre. The garage stated they tyres were ok and the manager also came out and confirmed this. I've done a couple of hundred miles since.

I bought the car 2 months ago from Honda so will contact them re any warranty.

I am currently contacting another dealer for a switch price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went into Arnold Clarke to be greeted with a £74 bill for telling me what I already knew and had told them.

"shall we proceed in ordering the hand brake switch for you" no mention of the warranty.

I spoke with the service manager who had to be asked why the switch was not covered. "Damage due to external influences" force with hand means it's not covered.

I explained I have not owned any make of car where a switch had physically fell apart. I have used the switch twice and my wife has only used the car once. I questioned the robustness of the switch and will now speak with Honda and write to Citroen.

The part is under £40 supplied from a Glasgow dealer, so if I get no joy I may fit myself.

I got the bill halved and the car was washed. A tad expensive for a car wash. Not a garage I was rush to visit again.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would hope it would be covered, but car makers have weird rules on warranty items.
I bought a used Toyota Celica with an full approved warranty, and when the drivers electric door swich plastic top broke just one month into the purchase, they refused to replace it as it wasn't apparently covered, but they later on replaced the entire exhaust system due to a hole in a silencer, which I thought would be wear&tear on a 5 year old car?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eventually stumped up the cash from the handbrake switch from a supplier in Clyde Street, Glasgow about £37.

The small ash tray holder moulding in the centre console can be pulled out provided a hole to lever the top off the centre console providing access to the electronic handbrake switch. No tools are required and would mark the plastics. The wiring socket has a rotational holder which then allows the wiring socket to be removed from the switch. The switch is then released by pushing the 4 plastic lugs from above. Refitting the switch took about 2 minutes plus fitting the console back together.

Now for pricing a 2nd year service. I used an online bidding site with some interesting quotes from 3 Arnold Clarke garages differing by £55! Others included the lowest ACL service Centre @ £150 and the highest Ford Dumfermline £232.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great description, Mine is exactly the same.
My wife the only other driver denies having forced it and I almost never use it.
I'm out of warranty but I'm going to ask Citroen to fix it on a "fit for use" basis.
JP-M

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.