Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front Michelins decided to wear out last week, so I went shopping for replacements. Hecky thump any decent branded tyre is £270+ for the 19"225x40s, way too much for my budget. A bit of searching around found two types of budget tyres in these sizes that get a reasonable right up.Kuhmo and Nanking both work out at £250 for 2 tyres and get a similar rating to Dunlop & Bridgestone. Auto Express even said " they cut above their price tag ". I am on the Nanking ones now (apparantly very fashionable with all the boy racers near me) and apart from a bit of noise on cold start up they are doing fine. Cost to me £250 for 2 cheaper than one Michelin!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Blimey, your tyre shops are expensive! I got 4 Michelin Pilots same size at £218.00 all inclusive (fitting, valves, disposal of old tyres and filling with Nitrogen). Plus Michelin are doing a promotion with Merit Tyres of £50 fuel card if you buy 2 or more tyres. Right result.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they are! I saw the Michelin fuel offer and tried to make it work but it comes down to numbers. 1 tyre is X, 2 tyres is 2X-5% and so on. So you probably got that price for 4, but they were £269 each although I could have had 2 for £506, but I still got mine for half that. And original Michelins only did 12,000 miles so not brill.
Edited by: rich.cath

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had Kuhmos on my last car, a 2litre turbo diesel and was happy with them - at half the price of Michelin, Pirelli etc. and no noticeable increase in road noise. Apparently most of the taxi drivers around here use Kuhmos, so I guess that means they give good mileage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Only 12000 miles!?!?! Mine racked up 23000 on the original Michelin Pilot 2s. Must be the difference between a bloke driving and a bird! Lol. Mine is a 2.0 160bhp diesel and I don't have a particularly gentle right foot. ;o)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All,Get some Sailun tyres 225/45 R18 W around about £67 fitted from tyre savings. Have been reviewed by think it was autoexpress maybe, found to be just as good as bridgestones.
Got a pair for my Civic and think they are better than the Pirelli's that were on it! Also worth noting that if you look at different speed ratings to original then more choice of tyres. Went down a speed rating on Civic (had Y on - 186mph) went to W, insurance were fine about it as well!! If you go up to W for 225/45 18 then much more more choice for DS 4.
Just a thought.

Cheers

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chaps,Started this as a conversation 'cos of cost of Michelins, not criticism of my left foot!!
Bought car as sales demonstrator so cannot be sure what initial driving was like - worrying really!

Am sure there are other makes that are reasonable, as well, if we list them then fellow DS4'ers can at least have a choice and not be slaves to big corporate brands.

Edited by: rich.cath

·
Registered
312 Posts
SAM 67
I have the same car as you and my front tyres are down to 3.5 mm in 9000 miles .I'm not impressed with the Michelins at all my last car covered over 25k on its first set.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi all
Got two new tyres from my local Alba tyres, I bought a make called vredestrien, very happy with them, they are just as good as the top makes but don't cost as much, £190 each fitted. I also got them to put Nitrogen in them instead of std air, better for the big 19" wheels I have.
Cheers phil

·
Registered
164 Posts
As a matter of interest, what difference does Nitrogen make??.Are the lower cost tyres just as good or is the dealer trying to sell me a higher margin product?Any advice welcome as my tyres are due at 30k km - (not bad judging by some of the other experiences of posters on this site)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi
I have just hadfitted 2 front Khumo for £300and theylook well and handle good. Only issue i have is, i can hear a high pitch droning sound at about 40 and also hear like ridges in the road, Bit like a flattrye sound but higher and quieter,but dont feel them. This goes about 55. Anybody any ideas.?

Ta

1 - 14 of 14 Posts