Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!! I'm a driving instructor and have been for roughly 10 years. Having had 4 minis I decided it was time for a change, but as lots of instructors were opting for the DS3 I decided i'd give the DS4 a try. I absolutely love it and so do my pupils.
I bought the D-Style 2.0 HDI (135) and added the e-myway and denon sound system, full black leather and the 19" cairn alloys. It gets so much attention on the road and all the DS3 guys are very jealous.
The auto handbrake is excellent and I love the live traffic info through the sat nav.
I fitted a full set of black "alloy-gators" to protect the huge wheels and glad I did. They actually really compliment the alloys too.
Having taken delivery in mid march I've already done 11,400 wonderful miles and i'm currently achieving 47mpg as an average over the last 5000 miles.

Looking forward to hearing from like minded DS4 fans and hopefully sharing some useful info.

Dave.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ben,

Pictures as requested! They are pretty easy to fit and they do a great job in protecting the alloy. I don't cringe as much as I used to when pupils make contact with the kerb!!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Im interested to know how the electric handbrake will effect learners especially with its hill start. Wont that give them a false sense of security when they go back to the traditional handbrake as they may forget they will need to manually pull it up when parking and on hill starts etc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Rev G,

That's a really good question and the electric handbrake issue was my biggest concern when choosing a new car. I spoke to the DSA examiners re the use of and requirements for test and they confirmed that test criteria has to move with modern technology.

All pupils love both the automatic release on hill starts and the brake assist whilst driving, but I have a few pupils who have now only driven my DS4 and luckily some of those have had the chance to practice in parents cars too With a bit of coaching / patience they have been able to use both variants without any problems. I think I've struggled more to adapt when driving cars with a manual (traditional) handbrake and regularly find myself setting off without releasing the thing!!!

New designs and driver aids have always created mixed opinions, but you just have to work around the changes and hope that pupils have the ability to adapt too. Thankfully my pupils who have had the chance to use both types are dealing with the cross-over very well.

I wonder what will be next on the driver aid list?

Regards, Dave.

·
Registered
24 Posts
djhdrivingtuition said:
I wonder what will be next on the driver aid list?

Hopefully an auto-horn that detects drivers that pull out on you, then indicate to turn off at the next junction.

Hy hand gets tired of beeping it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The gators look dam good. Where did you get them from and how much? I want a set of these. X

·
Registered
50 Posts
After having just kerbed a wheel yesterday I've decided I need to get a set of alloyagators. I saw this on the FAQ though and wondered if it applied to our wheels:

Q. Can AlloyGator be used on Machine Polished/Diamond Cut Alloy Wheels
The ""AlloyGator""� alloy wheel rim protectors are not recommended for machine polished or diamond cut alloy wheels. Although fitting the product will provide superior protection against kerb damage, due to existing imperfections in the lacquered wheel surface our product may increase the risk of moisture retention and accelerate wheel degradation. Providing there is no minute damage to the wheel surface, fitting the "AlloyGator" wheel rim protectors will not cause damage on its own, however AlloyGator Limited accepts no liability if the product when fitted causes such damage.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yes it does , we have diamond cut wheels . The finish doesn't last long compared to ordinary alloy wheels , because the lacquer finds it hard to stick to the finely polished surface .A small stone chip or scrapelets the moisture under the lacquer and the corrosion starts . I don't know what the lifespan of a diamond cut wheel finish is but looking at Fords and Mercs with them I would say about 3 to 4 years . The answer is to keep them good as long as you can and then have them paintedI suppose

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply and I shall be keeping an eye on that in future. For now I'll get the Gators on asap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Caz1975,

Yeh, they do look good and do an amazing job. I've added the web address for them below and I'm pretty sure they are £60 for a set of 5. They come in lots of colours so you can either be pretty outlandish and go for a bright colour or conservative and keep in neutral!

I fit them myself and after fitting the first, which will take a bit of time to master a technique the others will simply pop on.

Good luck and hope you get on ok

Dave x

http://www.alloygator.co.uk/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts