Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in for the long running electrical saga yesterday and they gave me a DS5 as courtesy car. What a bute! Same 163 engine as DS4 Sport, with similar design squiggles, but with a bit more space.Observations:
Interestingly has same none touch screen sat-nav emyway system
Has sexier dials and graphics
Doesn'thave vibrating / heated seats
Doesn'thave blind spot mirrors
Doesn't have tyre pressure monitoring
Doesn't have panoramic windscreen
Does havegorgeousindividual electric roof blinds though
Still has SOS and Citroen assist.
Has drilled pedals, and flat bottom wheel with even more chrome on!

I know some of this can be options but just thought you might like to know.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I do like the look of these but maybe a bit old manish??This is how I see it:-
DS3=Youth DS4=Midlife DS5=Retired

So maybe in another 20 years.
I've had a sit in one and it was deffo a nice place to be,haven't driven one though.
Whats your impression of the drive?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chud,Have to say I liked the ride. Same std 163bhp engine as 4 Sport, and seemed to pull as well. Have to say I felt I needed an auto-box though in that car, which I don't want in the 4 - so your old man feel may be right!
You seem to sit lower but feel snug, but odd things like diesel cap on passenger side caught me out.
Back seats did'nt look a lot bigger than 4, probably only a few cm in it, but boot certainly bigger.

Have to say though if you loaded on the toys this car can cost well over £30k and that is right in BMW/Audi territory - not sure If I was spending that money a Citroen, however nice it looks would be my choice.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys,SBK61 has hit it on the head. Citroens however much we love them, usually have a terrible residual value, so you can pick up a good one cheap less than 2 years old.
So I would say again would you spend around £35k on a car that will be worth less than half within 18 months, unlike an Audi /BMW?
Looked up my DS4 with all the trimmings and it was nearly £26k new, I did'nt pay anything like that as a 10 month old car! and if I had £26k may well have looked elsewhere, and missed the DS4 experience!!

Its a difficult call, I love the Ds range but they are Citroens with Citroen after sales service?!?!?

·
Registered
267 Posts
rich.cath - were those DS5 on 18 or 19" rims?Most reviews seem to say that the ride is too stiff for a somewhat premium executive car and the DS5 ought to have a better ride quality.The D55 was recently launched over here and would like to hear your thoughts.
By the way, i read a report in 'What Car' last month that the Citroen was already planning a tweak to the suspension to enhance the ride quality before end 2014...i wished it is as nice as my previous Xantia

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ajdar,I only had it for the day and was at work, so it was a limited 65mile test.
I thought it was a smooth ride, but my DS4 has a firm ride on the sport suspension and 19" alloys so I may be biased. I believe it was on 18" alloys and they were not two tone like DS4.
What struck me, and I think chud hit the nail on the head was it did'nt have the feel of urgency that the DS3 or 4 give. The lower seat with armrest holding your arm to the gear stick, made me want an auto-box rather than fumbling for gears. I have adual-clutch box in a Galaxy but I never want one in the 4
Assuming nothing changes (and it always does), I could see myself in a DS5 in about 5-10 years time, as I might look a bit mutton dressed as lamb in a 4 at that age!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a DS5 2 litre 163 bhp on loan and I'm impressed. The interior space is the nicest I've seen, nice drive, but you do feel the bumps.The DS4 is more fun though and a bit less sedate.Most people I ask prefer the look of the DS4. Wondering if I should make the jump to the 5. That interior is the main selling point.Maybe I should check out the equivelant DS5 forum

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hutch, don't leave us! Not sure if DS3 / DS5 people have a web-forum.

I personally have nothing against DS5 per se.....

My only observations having had one as a courtesy car a couple of times are:

1. it is more 'sedate' than DS4 - by that I mean it does'nt make you want to drive it hard but just smooze, like in a Jag!
2.I found that the gearstick layout is not good for a manual and is crying out for a decent auto-box as armrest etc get in way.
3. I thought the extra buttons confused the sat-nav screen - crying out for a touch-screen.
4. Don't like the analog clock, don't know why, but it is back to Jag territory again, I prefer a good digital readout.
5. I like the reversing camera hooked up to sat-nav screen - would be useful on DS4
6. I like the electric blinds on glass panoramic roof - nice touch.
7. I like opening back windows, always an advantage
8. I do not like the price - with toys - for a Citroen!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
If I could transpose the DS5 interior to the DS4, it would be a thing of beauty. My teenage kids think the DS4 has way more street cred and is way cooler than the 5. So its looking like the DS4 will be staying for a while longer. While I liked the comfort of the 5, I miss the resposiveness of the 4. Maybe I need one of each.
and there is the small matter of money. DS5 is pricey. So I guess I'll be sticking with the forum, another reason to stick wth the DS4. I like the feeling of being that bit different.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Agree Hutch-.the interior of the DS5 is way better butDS4 is lighter and thus more agile..I would not mind if they set up the DS5 with a more composed ride and let DS4 be the more dynamic model.With a heavier body i wish the DS5 engine was retuned for more power and torque to compensate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've just had a test drive in a 2015 dieselHDi 160 DStyle and I think i am going to swap my DS4 for it. It has so much more oomph that my 1.6 DS4 and doesn't feel like it has any lack or urgency. I looked at BMW 3 series and Audi but this just has more about it.. I am 45 am I too young for this car?? :D:D

·
Registered
544 Posts
My plan was to get a DS5 to replace our old DS4 but alas it was not to be.

The DS5 is based on the same chassis as the DS4 but the design of the interior meant there was insufficient space for our family, with the drivers seat as far back and low as it goes I was comfortable but there was no chance my wife could sit behind me as the seat is on the floor so she has nowhere to put her feet; I couldn't sit any closer to the wheel so that was that. In the DS4 I prefer to sit with similar space behind me but can comfortably drive with the seat raised enough to get feet underneath it. I did like it in lots of other ways but for space, I'm afraid the DS4 is actually bigger (apart from the boot) which I assume is down to the bigger bulkier seats in the DS5 and the vast centre console eating in to leg room.

I'd wanted one since I first saw it, I came away utterly disappointed, bout a 2.0HDi DSport and don't regret it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts