Citroen DS4 Forums banner

Dsport Tyres changing to 225 45 19 anyone else?

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Chris 
I don't get the car makers obsession for bigger and bigger wheels - and smaller and smaller tyres to wrap around them!
There is only one possible plus point of bigger wheels, and that is they may look better when the car is stationary (and then only to some) - everything else ... Ride comfort, wheel damage from potholes, replacement price of tyres, replacement price of a wheel.... All in favour of the smaller wheel.
I had the 18" wheels on my DS4 DSyle and fitted 17" winters - it didn't look any worse for dropping an inch for a few months.
My DS5 DStyle had the 17" wheels as it is the AirDream ... Very pleased about that instead of having the 18" wheels of the other DSyles :) it certainly looks no worse then other DS5s with larger wheels.

Now back on topic ...
To the last poster - the question was about a 19" tyre with a larger profile to help the cushioning of the suspension, NOT actually moving to 19" tyres from 18", so your point about ride is mostly in sync with theirs.

Changing the profile will have three key effects ...
It WILL make the speedo read differently, but as they always underread anyway and are wrong, the chances are changing the tyres will actually get it more accurate! (I changed the tyres on my VW camper for much larger profile - went from 205/55/16 to 215/60/16 and the speedo became SPOT ON!)
It will cause the acceleration to dull slightly as the rolling circumference is larger - unless you are timing your 0-60 take offs, I doubt if this will be noticeable.
It will mean the engine will be revving lower at a given speed for reason above - so engine noise will be lower (noticeable I am not sure) and economy should be better, if just slightly (going back to,my VW, the new bigger tyres actually meant the engine was running at about 300 RPM less at 70 MPH, which meant quite a reduction in noise, and it was this main reason I went for bigger tyres).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.