Citroen DS4 Forums banner

Dsport Tyres changing to 225 45 19 anyone else?

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Chris 
#1 ·
Ok the DS4 Dsport 2.0 HDI has the 225 40 19 tyres fitted, i need to change mine and have been told that the 225 45 19 tyres will give a slighter better ride and will only make the side wall slightly larger which should not be an issue.

Has anyone else fitted these size tyres to their Dsport? and what is other peoples thoughts on this?

#2 ·
I wouldn't do this. It will make your speedo read wrongly

#3 ·
Chris said:
I wouldn't do this. It will make your speedo read wrongly
To be honest ite would not change the speedo that much, see below

Chaning to the following tyres would increase by only 1-3mph from speeds 0f 30-90mph

30mph to 31mph
40mph to 41.36mph
50mph to 51.7mph
60mph to 62.4mph
70mph to 72.3mph
80mph to 82.7mph
90mph to 93.06mph

Does not really effect the speedo that much! just have to be awware of it in speed restriction zones.

#4 ·
Hello Craigh,

My DS4 Sport came with the225 40 19 fitted. Mycomments to your question are:
1.- Why do you NEED to change your tyres to 19"?

2.-The speedometer is not exact. Compared to speed radars, I've noticed that the car reads 55km/h (you'll have to make the conversion) and the radar reads 50 km/h, and I've not noticed that the faster I go the bigger the difference... to me, it's a 5km difference at any speed, and TBH, I don'tcare. :)

3.- Here, in the Czech Republic, wintertyres aremandatory for winter. So for summer I use the 19s" and, since 19" wintertyres wereso f&$%$ expensive! and due to the small difference in price between buying a whole new set of 17" alloy rims AND 17" Micheline Alpin 4 wintertyres for the price of a 19" Michelin winter tyres (maybe I could have looked for a diff brand, but Im not an experienced winter driver, I wanted some certainty andreassurance)I now use 17" winter tyres for winter. Can you imagine driving in winter with 19" tyres? I can't... read below.

4.- I am sure you're familiar with DS4 hard suspension... well, now consider that suspension and having a 40 instead of 55 as a cushion. Yes,the wheels look impressive but that comes at a price and some discomfort whenpassing bumps and when driving on cobbled streets or in winter.

I suggest you test drive a DS4 with the 19" tyres fitted... Im my opinion, you should be more worried about the discomfort than the speedometer change.

#5 ·
I don't get the car makers obsession for bigger and bigger wheels - and smaller and smaller tyres to wrap around them!
There is only one possible plus point of bigger wheels, and that is they may look better when the car is stationary (and then only to some) - everything else ... Ride comfort, wheel damage from potholes, replacement price of tyres, replacement price of a wheel.... All in favour of the smaller wheel.
I had the 18" wheels on my DS4 DSyle and fitted 17" winters - it didn't look any worse for dropping an inch for a few months.
My DS5 DStyle had the 17" wheels as it is the AirDream ... Very pleased about that instead of having the 18" wheels of the other DSyles :) it certainly looks no worse then other DS5s with larger wheels.

Now back on topic ...
To the last poster - the question was about a 19" tyre with a larger profile to help the cushioning of the suspension, NOT actually moving to 19" tyres from 18", so your point about ride is mostly in sync with theirs.

Changing the profile will have three key effects ...
It WILL make the speedo read differently, but as they always underread anyway and are wrong, the chances are changing the tyres will actually get it more accurate! (I changed the tyres on my VW camper for much larger profile - went from 205/55/16 to 215/60/16 and the speedo became SPOT ON!)
It will cause the acceleration to dull slightly as the rolling circumference is larger - unless you are timing your 0-60 take offs, I doubt if this will be noticeable.
It will mean the engine will be revving lower at a given speed for reason above - so engine noise will be lower (noticeable I am not sure) and economy should be better, if just slightly (going back to,my VW, the new bigger tyres actually meant the engine was running at about 300 RPM less at 70 MPH, which meant quite a reduction in noise, and it was this main reason I went for bigger tyres).

#6 ·
I have a DS4 160 DSport...Therefore the smallest wheel that fits is 18" according to Citroen because of the larger calipers

#8 ·
Chris,Correction smallest wheels are 17" - as I have some winter rims and tyres. Went up 2 profiles to compensate for size.
It is correct that sport has larger calipers but depends on offset and rim type rather than simple size.

#9 ·
I also checked the speedo calibration today as having the slightly larger wall, i checked this with an external sat nat and compared it to the car speedo

Car Speedo Reading Sat Nav Reading
30mph 30mph
40mph 40mph
50mph 50mph
60mph 60mph
70mph 70mph

So fitting the225 45 19 tyres has made no different to the speedo, it may have originally been under calibrated by Citroen, but now with the larger tyres is reading correct.

Edited by: Craigh

#10 ·
Craigh said:
I also checked the speedo calibration today as having the slightly larger wall, i checked this with an external sat nat and compared it to the car speedo

Car Speedo Reading Sat Nav Reading
30mph 30mph
40mph 40mph
50mph 50mph
60mph 60mph
70mph 70mph

So fitting the225 45 19 tyres has made no different to the speedo, it may have originally been under calibrated by Citroen, but now with the larger tyres is reading correct.
I rang Citroen CS and they said 17" wouldn't fit....not the first time a CS of a car manufacturer gives the wrong information..LOL
I might now explore the winter alloys route
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.