Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have now driven about 300 miles in my DSTYLE I have only ever seen the GREEN ECO flash. The engine gas never cut out. I'm not even sure I have eco on this model but it certainly looks like I should have. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
You're not doing anything wrong
Our Stop/Start hasn't worked since October, and that was only a half dozen times
Strangely, Citroen have set so many rules for it to work, that it rarely does
You're among a long list of owners who are frustrated and puzzled by the ECO settings

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I think I'll go to a main dealer and get them to explain.
Other than that I very pleased with the car.
My next task is to look at upgrading the maps on the navigation

·
Registered
9 Posts
Car in neutral, foot off clutch, foot on brake, handbrake off engine up to temperature interior up to temperature, outside temperature not too hot or too cold,no excessive drain on your battery and things should happen.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Skintnow said:
Car in neutral, foot off clutch, foot on brake, handbrake off engine up to temperature interior up to temperature, outside temperature not too hot or too cold,no excessive drain on your battery and things should happen.
All done..still doesnt work ...very puzzling...There's a list in the manual
My mate has a BMW X1 and it works every single time, without any eco driving whatsoever
This makes more sense to me
DS/Citroen only do it to get around emissions after all

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ours works fine, to the extent that it often 'stops' when the engine is clearly cold (leaving the car park at work, for example); it may restart 20-30 seconds later but that's how it's supposed to work - even in the cold weather it's fine.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
What could be wrong then Frank?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I suspect it's how good the battery is - from memory it needs to be over 70% for Eco to work and I do think perhaps some battery's don't hold charge that well - I think ours works a treat by accident rather than anything we do (Mrs FB does lots of short trips in the car, we have the heated seats on all the time etc.); I did notice it wouldn't work today and I wonder if one of the myriad of bizarre parameters it is controlled by is the fog lights being in (of all things) or perhaps it was too cold at 0C.

In my view there are so many parameters including the ability of the battery to hold a higher charge thatwhether Eco works or not is best defined by throwing darts at a board.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had an email from citroen as a follow up to my recent visit to them.This was my reply. Well,Seeing
as you are asking.No my car is not.I have returned it twice for the
stop start system not working.As soon as i get it back , It does not
work the next day.I was told that there are many variables as to why it
will not work,So it must be those causing the non stop/start.One weekend
,we went to newquay = 170 miles,The weather was 60 deg plus,I only had
the heater fan on one notch,no air con no lights apart from day running
lights When we got on local roads with junctions the engine did not
stop. The ECO light flashes 3 times,Which i know it will not stop if
that flashes.It usually does at least 100 miles at weekends,With a
couple of trips about 40 miles during the week.Today for instance,We
went to croome in worcs,At least 60 miles in one trip.The weather was
warm mostly motorway fan on 1 notch no air con or lights,And it still
refuses to stop at junctions,This is also not putting the handbrake on,
putting into neutral ,with my foot on the brake at a junction,Which
incidentally i find bad practice.The only way that the system will
work,Is if i turn the fan fully off.My daughter had her car come in for a
recall and she had a ds3 as a courtesy car ad that had stop start
fitted,And that behaved perfectly,She even went through rainstorms with
headlights and wipers = heater fan on and the auto start worked when she
stopped .So,What am i doing wrong,I mean ,If i have to drive
permanently on the motorway at 70 and it still does not work,Surely
around town where it's most needed it does not work,Then It's not fit
for purpose,Just pointless gimmick Believe me,I think it's a great idea
when it works, Shame it's only for one day when your workshop charges
the battery up. Sincerely A Richardson.

<div ="x_Msonormal" style="text-align:center" align="center">
<hr align="center" width="98%" size="2">

·
Registered
155 Posts
How old is your car ? , When i had the ds4 it was only 2 years old and the eco wouldnd work, it was down to the battery.

I managed to get it replaced under warranty and it worked perfectly after that. Prior to that i had the same issue as you, garage charged up the battery and it would work for a day..

My c4 i had from new, now 2 1/2 years, the eco works 99% of the time

Edited by: g_p_t

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
18 Months. Thanks for the information. I intend to go to a dealership on Thursday. I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi GPT Thanks for replying.I had the car from new and it is about 14 months old=65 reg. As ive said it's stopped working ,All that happens is the ECO light flashes 3 times when you are coming to a stop at junctions.I got it into the garage again and they said the battery was OK after charging .and the capacitor in the wheel arch was good too.So we went on holiday in wales for 5 days and it worked perfectly.Then the next day back home,It packed up again.Now I've said i had nothing electrical on.I never had the headlights on as i don't drive the car in the dark { I don't need to ]. Now when i mentioned to the very patronizing desk clerk/ receptionist that I'd been on this forum. I was told basically you all know nothing on here,There all idiots that don't know what there talking about Now i know different else why would i be asking for your advise .So my thoughts are surely it needs a bigger battery and a higher output alternator.The battery that's fitted looks really small for a diesel car= SS160 so call me an idiot in my layman's roll.Incidentally, Ive worked in diesel plant hire an for the last 30 years worked with diesel/ hydraulic pumps.I admit im not a technician but i don't need to plug these things into a laptop to tell me what's wrong with them.Thanks for taking the time with me.Andy r.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Please can you PM me the name of your Dealer
Thankyou

·
Registered
9 Posts
as just a matter of interest. could you get a bigger battery for the car and if so would that have a negative impact on anything else? my own ds4 works sometimes aswell, it really depends on the day to be honest. worked all yesterday going to work but coming home from work didn't work once

·
Registered
155 Posts
I believe that the ecu measures the internal resistance of the battery also to determine weather the battery is good enough, i say this as my wife had a c3 E-HDI from new and after 2 1/2 years the start stop went very intermittent , the dealer quoted me the battery's internal resistance , and said it need to be lower (or higher cant remember) but they did a 'change of parameters on the car somehow' and that did the trick, we have sold that car now..To me it looks like whatever monitors batter performance is way to on the safe side, the battery needs to be in tip top condition and well charged !
The other thing to take into consideration is that if a battery is allowed to go very low the battery will never be 100% again, you just dont know how long your car sat unused, gently draining the battery before you purchased it.
If you check the manual it says to disconnect the battery (there is a quick release on the +) if not used for over 4 weeks, how many dealers do this ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
bought our ds4 in November 2016 eco never worked from the off citreon in poole had it back charged it up over night and it worked fine for about a week then stopped. Citreon then had it back in and fitted new battery under manufacoters warranty and now it works perfectly fine with no issues.

RobEdited by: rjh67

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally got to dealership as I've been so busy.
They had the car all day. My ECO isn't working because the battery is at 68% and eco will only work at 75%.
I am now driving around with nothing running except lights. Eco still not working.
I have had it operational after a 200 mile in on the last 10 minutes. The next morning nothing.
It's not a big issue but annoying. Don't Citroen realise there is an issue with the parameters?
I want a replacement battery!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ours stopped working for about 3 days this week then last night on the way home from work it was spot-on; it's just one of those things.

When I get in the car, in my very best Clint Eastwood impression I give it the 'Are you feeling lucky, punk'.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
It is so frustrating!!
Other manufacturers have a S&S system that works every single time regardless of driving style/parameters ....blah ...blah ...blah
Why cant Citroen???

1 - 20 of 40 Posts