Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice this week, the egs failed to engage after I had parked the car. The car would not move and the display would continue to show N, despite selecting, R, A or even M. On both occasions, it restarted after leaving it for about 10 minutes. Anybody else had this experience?.A software glitch, I suspect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Hutch, yes, it does sound like a software problem or the engine management box is playing up, like what happened to mine earlier. I am sure your dealer will be able to sort it out for you quickly. Apparently, they just plug the car in to a diagnostic commuter programme and it will say where the problem is. Please do let us know your progress in due course. Wayne

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wayne. This is what I suspect. The problem is it was back for a routine service last week and I specifically requested a diagnostic on the egs as I felt it is not optimised ( a bit jumpy on the low gears). Interestingly the problems only occurred after the service. Its currently back in the shop and I have a Picasso as a replacement
The egs on the Picasso seems smoother. Missing the DS already despite its many quirks.I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Hutch, thanks for the feedback! Yes, I think Citroen HK did mention something about fuses not working correctly when my car had the starting problem (basically, the computer would not allow me to start the car, showing 'battery fault'). I wonder would it be a batch problem. Gladyour caris back to normal now. I, too, sorely missed my car when it was in 'hospital' waiting for 'surgery'.....never felt thatfor my previous cars, even Alfas! After two months of ownership, I still have the urge to just take it out for a drive! Wayne

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hutch- which fuse in particular suffered from corosion?
Need to keep an eye on them. So far no problem with the EGS at 9000km.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its all a little strange. I was told its the same fuse as the ignition. However the ignition worked fine and the gear selector fault was intermittent. So maybe it was a faulty contact in the fuse circuit. I'm a bit puzzled.I sometimes think that this car went straight from citroens creative design department to production department, skipping engineeering and quality control along the way. Last Saturday when it sat down I felt like giving it a Basil Fawlty "damn good thrashing". But when you get out and contemplate the cars stunning good looks, you tend to overlook its little foibles. Kids were glad to see the DS back. Street cred. is re-established

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh wow, I have exactly the same problem.
6 months on the road, now it won't start. Claims to be battery fault, no ignition sound at all, so I guess its the computer blocking it.

The guys came along with batt pack, but no luck. Back at Sime Darby now. Missing it already. I really wonder now whether its a batch problem.

·
Registered
267 Posts
iustinium -let us know once you have resolved the matter. Keen to know what was wrong with the car, was it the fuse?

·
Registered
11 Posts
just heard back from dealer. apparently some chip needs to be replaced, no parts in HK, need to wait a week. dealer wasn't entirely clear on what chip. in either case, will let you know when i find out exactly what.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, know what u mean.

The most annoying situation is probably something like being in slow moving traffic at around 10km/h, on a hill going up, and the damn road has speed bumps. All equates to "EGS Hell"!

i.e. if u foresee that coming up way ahead -> down shift to 1st :p

Despite all my moaning, i still love the car :p, if they did the manual 200THP in HK, I so would have gone for that instead though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interested to hear about similar problems. I was told it was the fuse, Not the chip or software. No recurrence in the past two weeks, but I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As I have previously reported I had difficulties originally but the dealer downloadded new software at the second visit and since then it has behaved. All the comments I have seen are all software related although I have to say that they did have to reposition one electronics box on mine as they were informed by Citroen that it was in conflict with another box and getting mixed signals. Can't see it being a fuse as fuses are either live or dead usually.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would have to agree with your logic bobble25. I still think it's a software issue despite what dealer tells me

·
Registered
19 Posts
iustinium said:
Yeah, know what u mean. 

The most annoying situation is probably something like being in slow moving traffic at around 10km/h, on a hill going up, and the damn road has speed bumps. All equates to "EGS Hell"!

i.e. if u foresee that coming up way ahead -> down shift to 1st :p

Despite all my moaning, i still love the car :p, if they did the manual 200THP in HK, I so would have gone for that instead though.
Yes, I ,too, learnt to have to manually use first gear on these inclines....I have to negotiate a steep incline every time I take the car out of my block!! If I left it in auto mode, the egs will shift up to second gear midway up the incline. It wouldn't be a problem except that the driveway is very short and the road junction is at the top of it! So you could not continue to floor the accelerator.....and when you lift off, the revs drop to almost idling levels without the egs shifting down and you feel the car wanting to stall.....

Wayne

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got my DS back. Apparently, they changed the component which sits on top of the batt. I think its the management chipset which controls the battery. There was no visible damage to the one they changed; fuses weren't eroded, nor blown. So I really think it might be an out of the factory issue.

The computer was disallowing ignition before it even gave it a go.

The battery itself was completely fine. In any case, now that they changed it, my DS is back live and kicking. Just hoping whatever it was they've fixed it.

I wish I won't have to report back on re occurrence, but if it happens again, will let you guys know.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Problem with egs not engaging drive re occurred today when I went to drive away from diesel pump. Had to get the garage guys to push the car off the pump.They all thought it was very funny. I didn't see the funny side. Back to Citroen again I guess.
Edited by: Hutch

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a scare the other day when it would not start. Luckily, it was just that the gearlever was not in neutral! Images of having it towed again flashed vividly in my mind.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had exactly same problem.Get back into car (usually only a short stop) start car no problem. But shifting into a gear gets nothing display just shows N.
If you switch car of until everything powers down (handbrake light goes out).
Start car and everything is fine again.
Has happened 5 times in 8 months from new and 22000 miles.
Dealer can find no fault.
It is very frustrating when it happens but just switched off wait 2minutes and all is fine again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts