Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have just purchased my wife a 2014 D-Style 115 bhp DS4 in which I pick up next week. Having read many reviews about the car the EGS6 gearbox is quiet often slated for being jerky and non responsive. However after driving the car in the flesh, I did not think it was that bad. Everything else about the car is great. My question is I believe I have read somewhere that Citroen updated the EGS6 gearbox to the EGT6 and now it has the EAT6 to confuse matters more. Which semi auto gearbox will I have in my 2014 car?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Welcome!

The EGS6 and ETG6 are exactly the same thing, Citroen have merely changed the name of it (it's also called EGC in Peugeot's) probably so that people googling ETG don't have a heart attack! They are manual gearboxes with an automated clutch. EAT6 is the new torque-converter 'proper' automatic gearbox.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Frank Buillitt, I have nearly given myself a heart attack trying to find out the difference between the EGS6 and ETG6 via google, no wonder I didn't get on so well. I must say I didn't think the auto was as bad as some of the reports I have read, however I have only taken the car for a short test drive thus far.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Frank, could you give more details of the EAT6 auto, if you have them? I thought that the EAT6 was an automated clutch. I had been led to that conclusion by things I'd read (e.g. talk of 'the use of lock-up clutch converters to prevent slippage') and the fact that there appears to be very little loss of mpg compared to the manual version of the car in question. I would be pleased if it was a torque converter. No sooner had I taken delivery of my 2.0Hdi auto DS4 last year than my life changed and my mileage has dropped from nearly 20000 miles a year to less than 6000 miles of non motoway use and so am wondering if my diesel will be harmed by the slow, short journeys I now make. I would be loathed to change, but if I could find a petrol car with a torque converter I would be tempted.

·
Registered
544 Posts
There's very little out there to be honest on the EAT6, I know of a few C4 Picasso owners with it and they are delighted. The DS4 has been available for some time with a 6-speed torque converter gearbox attached to the 1.6 THP DStyle (it was an EGS until late 2013 I think), and they now note the revised DS4 has the 1.6 165 'Puretech' with the DStyle and EAT6.

There is a video on YouTube if you search for EAT6 and Peugeot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the answer Frank. I'll have to do a bit of digging. I am concerned that the type of journeys I'm now doing could muck up the dpf on my diesel. Having both taken early retirement and moved, I'm a long way from even a dual carriageway, let alone a motorway and my journeys are short, so the opportunities to burn off particulates are few and far between.

·
Registered
43 Posts
PaulE said:
Thanks for the answer Frank. I'll have to do a bit of digging. I am concerned that the type of journeys I'm now doing could muck up the dpf on my diesel. Having both taken early retirement and moved, I'm a long way from even a dual carriageway, let alone a motorway and my journeys are short, so the opportunities to burn off particulates are few and far between.
For your information I have a DS4 DStyle with 2.0 diesel engine and the full automatic 6 speed gearbox. I use the car for mostly short journeys and in getting on for 18 months I have had no problems with the DPFregenerating. The performance and drive of the Automatic is fine like any other conventional auto box, and would certainly recommend this configuration. Every so often I notice the heated rear window and heated door mirrors have switched themselves on, and this I discovered is the car attempting to carry out a DPF regeneration, other than that I have never noticed or had to carry out any procedure to aid the process.
Regards
Keith

·
Registered
544 Posts
I agree - our DS4 is regularly used for short journey's as Mrs FB's commute is 2 miles each way, yes we do longer trips on holidays etc but it can be a couple of weeks between decent trips and it's not an issue. Keith is right, when the car regenerates the rear heated window comes on as do the mirrors plus if you have economy on 'instantaneous' you'll see it drops like a stone for a mile or so. Our old Picasso was used in the same way and it was never an issue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Many thanks for the very helpful input, Keith and Frank. I'll keep an eye on the heated rear window and in the light of your experience, I think I'll hold onto the car and see how things go. The car is so good, I'd rather not change unless I have to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Frank, I purchased my Automatic DS4 2011 in February and since i've had it I get a problem shooting up at me saying SERVICE Gearbox Fault Repair. I have brought the car for 3 Diagnostics and all 3 are saying that nothing is showing for Gearbox and they have cleared all faults but the problem is SERVICE will show up and I cannot knock it out of 3rd gear it just won't budge either in Automatic or Manual, do you know by any chance what this problem could be and would remapping fix the problem. Would much appreciate an answer if you have ever heard of this problem before. Many thanks Michelle.

·
Super Moderator
953 Posts
The topic is over 3 years old, and Frank isn't about as often now, he moved on to a different car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts