Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do during wintertime with the automatic handbrake? With previous cars I did not use the handbrake during winter due to the risk of it getting stuck, and the DS4 manual also recommends to turn the automatic handbrake off when it freezing.

I have turned the auto setting off in the vehicle menu, but when I turn off the ignition and open the door I get the annoying alarm - reminding me to turn the handbrake on. Quite annoying!

So how do you treat the auto handbrake during winter ?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just use it as normal to be honest but it probably isn't as cold here as Denmark.

You can, of course, turn it off as you've done but you'll always get the chimed warnings, something you'll have to live with I'm afraid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just spoke to my garage, and they said "just leave it on automatic". They had not had any case of "frozen brakes". For those of you who just leave it on "Automatic" all year - any issues in winter time?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Some electric handbrakes are built into the rear calipers. They are more prone to freezing as they're exposed to spray and so on.

The DS4 has an electric winch in the spare wheel well which replaces the handbrake lever, apart from that it's identical to the manual handbrake. Because the system is within the cabin, it's much less susceptible to freezing. Water can't get into it in the first place.

Your handbrake cables can still freeze, but that's a problem for manual handbrakes as well.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
No issues here CarstenIt rarely gets cold enough to cause any issues
Just follow your Garage's advice

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your inputs. I'll leave it on auto and will post any issue I may encounter during winter... non I hope

1 - 6 of 6 Posts