DS4OwnersClub.co.uk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else's electronic brake switch off on startup by itself?
Mine does, lost count of the number of times it's happened. Had a couple of close shaves too.

Thankfully it has never happened while driving, it's just on startup. From memory there are some "fudge words" in the manual saying it can switch off under some circumstances, but what happens with mine does not feel like an edge condition. And it is unsafe.

I now have resorted to always leaving it in gear when parked, this seems to stop it from switching off by itself. Plus, as I don't trust the parking brake now, it gives some extra comfort that it's not going to roll when parked.

Will get it looked at when I take it to the garage for a service in a few months, but just wondering if it's just this car...

·
Registered
395 Posts
DSFour,
Either you are confused over several issues or you have some intial Citroen 'challenges', which is part of the character for French cars!!

The electronic handbrake does take some getting used to.

It does NOT work the same as versions on other makes such as Vauxhall Insignias, where you have to physically press button to disengage/ engage.

Citroen DOES automatically disengage and engage when you stop or start up. Usually it likes you to press brake pedal (engages hill start function) or disengage clutch first. It IS meant to disengage / engage by iteself it is NOT a fault.

If yours disengages as soon as you start car, there may be an issue. I would check that you are not pressing clutch / brake pedal autonomously without realising, and therefore hitting criteria for brake release.

Because of hill start function (holds car in position for 3-4 seconds), you should not roll and have time to engage gear and find biting point.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi :)Thanks for the response(s).
Yeah I have tried consciously not to push any pedals when starting up, thinking that automatic disengagement may be triggered. But after 30 years of always pressing in the clutch before starting the car, it's a tough habit to break. ;)

I'll give you an example. I started the car one day on the driveway, then proceeded to plug my ipod in. While reaching down for the usb lead, I suddenly felt the car moving. Looked up and I was rolling towards the garage door. Managed to push my foot on the brake pedal with only inches to spare.

Very disconcerting.

We had an Espace until recently, with a similar electronic brake that automatically switched off when you pulled away, and we never experienced any issues with it switching off while stationary.

I will get it checked out. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi- upon starting the engine while in Neutral or park, the brake should not disengage even when you are stepping on the clutch. Only when you are in gear and you step on the accelerator pedal will the brake disengage and the car moves.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi ajdar, yes that I what I think too. But I've on many occasions, now I'm conscious of it, started the car up, not touched any pedals or buttons, just sat there,and watched the "parking brake disengaged" message appear on the screen and the red brake light go off all by themself.
The problems arise when I forget to be conscious of it, though as I say leaving the car parked in gear (hence mandating a clutch dip on startup which I always do automatically anyway) seems to stop it happening - it's never happened so far anyway.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hi DS Four- your situation does sound peculiar, perhaps better to send it to the dealer during the warranty period.Is this the scenario?- you start your car ( with car parked in neutral and brake already engaged) without touching the brake or other pedals by simply turning the key, then the brake will disengaged by itself? its quite risky if you were on a slope cos the car will roll by...?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts