Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Literally bought my DS4 last night and very happy so far, have to say it's my first time with an electronic handbrake and finding it hard to get used. After driving round some quiet hills for a bit, i've notice when i've wanted to come to a fullstop on a hill and apply the hand brake, i will get a message and some beeping saying handbrake failure.

I wil be taking it back to the garage to get it looked at, but just wondering if there's any do's or don't abiout using the handbrake on hills or in general and when to use it.

I'm aware of the hillstart function, which is awesome to be fair, but just worried incase i need to use it in the future and need to use the handbrake and it fails.

Can i apply the handbrake, with my foot on the brake? or do i have to apply it as im about to stop?

These seem silly writing them down but it's the best i can do to explain, im convinced it's me pressing to early or pushing the brake at the same time, so wouldnt be suprised to hear it come back :)

ANy help though guys would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
544 Posts
You can apply the handbrake at any time, I think above a certain speed it needs to be a prolonged pull (which must be longer than the amount of time I pulled it on the motorway a few months ago thinking I'd got the central armrest lid!), I've certainly applied ours whilst it's rolling on a slight incline.

I can't think of a situation where I've had an error message applying the handbrake but it has a hissy fit if you try to release it manually without your foot on the brake; releasing automatically it's fine of course.

Does that help?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Frank, it does help mate!

Reading it in a manual, and hearing someone saying it is totally different. Think i'll pop in the garage though to be safe and get it checked as the the actual lever doesn't feel too sturdy so it may be a hardware issue rather than a driver issue :)

thanks againm, i'll update once i get word from the garage, incase it helps someone else out

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the same problem and mine is a hardware issue, and needs a new switch/lever which i am getting fitted tomorrow, the switches/lever are prone to breaking if not used correctly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update on the progress of the car.

The actual switch was faulty and had that replaced which is all working now, but since that, ive had a myriad of dash errors:

Ars/esp errors
Anti rollback failure
Engine failure errors
Parking brake errors

At one point the car went into limp mode while I was on the m4. Straight into the garage I went, looked to be a fuel regulator and fuel filter issue.

Had the car back one day, done around ten miles and had the same errors come up, but this time with a big stop and service warning message on the dash. The car doesnt keep the revs up and stalls unless your foot is right down on the accelerator. So its back in the garage, had the car about two weeks and have driven it three times, the rest have been in the garage.

The last word from the garage is, 'they are scratching their heads'

·
Super Moderator
937 Posts
This doesnt look goodKeep us informed

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have they read all the faults codes, as i said befor i had my handbrake switch replaced and all was ok, is the car at a Citroen garage?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes mate they said they whole load of new errors since the handbrake was installed, but the handbrake works fine now since it was replaced, its just the fuel feed by the sounds of it.

Obly seems to have an issue if eco mode kicks in or the rollback is used, ot may not have amy relation at all as have only driven the car a handful of times, but seems to have issues when these modes have been used.

Another thing I noticed also is that, the engine noise increased considerably, it was like driving an old diesel car again, sounded like a tank. The garage said that this could be due to a fuel issue and not getting ebough of it.

Ill keep you all posted anyway when I hear back from them. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update========

the car was back all fixed and working lovely, for two days, they another tonne of errors come up, showing engine failure, roolback failure, ars/esp failing, handbrake failing, the list goes on, oh and big ass STOP sign on the dash aswell.

The engine, was stuttering really bad and very loud, more than usual. At a stand still, the car would stall and not keep the revs up. So Citroen came out to my house and attempted to drive it to the garage, as i mentioned about the STOP light and didnt want to risk driving it further. their recovery vehicle was out so they said they would drive it back, literally 2 miles.

And this has been in the garage for 2 weeks. After much umming and ahhhing they have come up with the High pressure fuel sensor is buggered and ordered a new, but this had to come from France. A week later and still nothing, i gave them a call and still no arrival, but this was due to the chaos in calais at the moment, so they escalted this directly to citroen and they found the part in a North Wales citron garage and is on it's merry little way to South Wales.

So hopefully, this should be resolved either today or im guessing monday now.

2 weeks though, is this a bit much or is this what i should be expecting from Citroen? Getting a bit worried i've made the wrong choice in a new car.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Doesn't sound good at all, only had ours a week but so far all is perfect, fingers crossed it continues! Hope this solves your issues and you can start enjoying your new car, is a real shame when something like this tarnishes the experience. Good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Me too! Thank youBecki_Justin:)

They did say, one problem can cause a domino effect on alot of other sensors that make the dashboard light up like xmas, so hopefully it is just that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hopefully that is the case. Have they given you a replacement vehicle in the meantime?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes thank god!

I was literally starting a new job on the monday when the car died on the friday, so i kicked off as i would have been super stuck! Wouldn't have looked good on my first day!

It's not the greatest but at least i have wheels :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
That's good at least, you don't mind an issue so much if they deal with it in the right manner and a courtesy car should be offered in my view. How old is the DS4 out of interest?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Literally just had a call to say the part has been fitted...yay! They are doing testing tomorrow and extensive testing monday before i have it back.

It's 2 years old only 14k on the clock

·
Registered
176 Posts
Great news, and good they are keeping you informed. Although a neausance sounds like they are handling it in a reasonable way which is encouraging (as we haven't had a Citroën before). Fingers crossed for you Edited by: Becki_Justin

·
Registered
176 Posts
Great news and useful info in case anyone gets similar symptoms in the future. Hope you can enjoy it for a bit now, we are very impressed with ours and are not regretting going over our original budget to get it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Becki_Justin - Hope you guys can have a pain free ride for a good few years too come!

Just to sum up what actually happened to mine for other people with the same symptoms so it's all in one post and you dont have to scroll through endless messages of me moaning.

I was initially getting handbrake errors until this was replaced, there was a slight break in getting any new errors until i took my wife on a practice run to get used to the anti rollback on some small hills.

The day after, i then experienced a reduce in speed on the motorway and it seemed to go into limp mode, this was followed by an ARS/ESP failure, Handbrake failure and anti rollback failure errors coming up on the dashboard. I could still drive but there was no power at 3000 revs.

After Citroen had a look, it seemed fine for another day, until i had the same load of messages again, along with Engine Malfunction message and a big STOP message. The engine, was very loud which was down to the sensor being faulty and pushing too much fuel into the engine and flooding it. Trying to start the car was very temperamental and really had to rev and feather the accelerator to keep it going at traffic lights.

Since this fuel sensor was replaced all has been good and running smooth as anything.

I did notice a few other posts where someone else was having the same issues and the fuel sensor was the last option for them also which seemed to have fixed there issue.

My model is a 1.6 Diesel DStyle Airdream with 14k on the clock on a 63 plate.

Hope any of this info helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back in the garage this morning :(

Last night had the engine management light and engine malfunction warning come back again on my way home from work (the air was blue to say the least)

Engine went into limp mode and managed to get home all o.k. funny thing, once i got home, and left it idle for a bit, the revs got a bit erratic without any pedal intervention. Turned it off and tried a test drive a hour later and it was all fine, no errors, no limp mode!!! So frustrated!!!

AGGHHHHH!!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts