Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks!

This is my first post on the forum, so hello firstly 馃槉

I own a 2014 Citroen DS4 DStyle AirDream, 1.6 manual diesel. Ever since before Christmas, I鈥檝e been hearing a knocking noise that despite several trips to the mechanic, is yet to be diagnosed.

The noise only occurs after longer periods of high-speed driving, so motorways and dual carriageways, and is only audible at low speeds (between first and second gear), so either when setting off from stationary or slowing down.

The noise sounds like the clunk you sometimes get when you change gear a bit too quickly, but happens whether the car is in gear or not, and whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged. The clunk occurs like a knock or tap, happening more than once and stopping once I鈥檓 in third gear or going quicker than around 25mph.

Because it only seems to happen under quite strict circumstances, my mechanic hasn鈥檛 been able to diagnose the problem. It鈥檚 getting to the point where I鈥檓 dreading taking it out for longer journeys in case something falls off and sends me hurtling to my untimely death.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this elusive noise could be? That way, I can take some suggestions to my mechanic and see if there鈥檚 anything that鈥檚 relatively easy (and cheap) to check.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Registered
Hi there,

I am also new to this forum, but recently had a clunk on my car round car parks and the likes, i found it to be the inner tie rod having some play in it. It was hardly anything, so much so that the mechanic refused to change it, so I guess I have to do it myself some time.

Get the front wheels up in the air and try to rock the wheel both side to side and top to bottom, if its side to side only then it could be inner or outer tie rod. Up and down is more likely to be a wheel bearing. However if its not those then I don't know what to suggest yet sorry. Just a thought of somewhere to start.

Good Luck

Registered
Also just to note, if you do 'exercise' the wheels all the way back and forth in the air, you might get an air bubble in the steering rack. I know I did.

Just turn lock to lock with the engine one after you are done to push them back out.

Registered
Hmm - maybe it is steering joints, bottom ball joints, drop links or track rod ends but can be a dual mass flywheel beginning to go. The two masses are kept apart by rubber blocks which when worn can allow to two metal components to 'knock' together. usually starts to make noises when the car engine is hot after a longer trip and the rubber softens a bit. Doesn't usually occur at lower mileages though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions folks!

It鈥檚 in with another mechanic today and tomorrow so they might be able to find something previous technicians couldn鈥檛.

The noise is happening more frequently now too; I鈥檝e been noticing it when driving round town and to and from work, so whatever it is, it鈥檚 getting worse!

Registered
Also check silly stuff like bits of heat shield and trim. I once had the screw part of a jubilee clip on a CV joint gaiter knocking on the hub once

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
**A quick update**

So, it鈥檚 been back to two different mechanics, and on both occasions, nothing has been found.

I did manage to capture the noise whilst driving, which you can listen to here:

https://youtu.be/C7c6kWiveOw - this one is a creaking noise.

https://youtu.be/je3hyMySj1w - this one is a knocking sound.

Both occurred after fairly long periods of driving. I was either creeping forward in traffic or at traffic lights.

The most recent mechanic had thought it might have been something to do with the driveshaft, but ruled it out.

Like I said, no mechanic has found anything to be the cause and has no ideas as to what it could be, so for now, I think I鈥檒l just have to put up with it. I鈥檓 happy that it鈥檚 clearly not something dangerous, but the mystery continues...

Registered
I had this on my Cactus the same symptoms as you, only really noticeable in stop start or slow moving traffic. The dealer diagnosed the tie rod ends as mentioned by James Wheeler. They were replaced under warranty and the problem was cured.

Super Moderator
The tie rod ends should be easily checked by rocking the steering wheel back and forth and putting you rhand over the ball joint.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had this on my Cactus the same symptoms as you, only really noticeable in stop start or slow moving traffic. The dealer diagnosed the tie rod ends as mentioned by James Wheeler. They were replaced under warranty and the problem was cured.
The tie rod ends should be easily checked by rocking the steering wheel back and forth and putting you rhand over the ball joint.
Thanks for the suggestion folks - I've contacted my mechanic this morning to ask if these have been checked - hopefully not, so this could be the answer and I can get it resolved!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anybody think it could be to do with the electronic handbrake or hill start assist? From other forums for other cars, people are describing very similar symptoms...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts