Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Copied from another forum -

P1339 Fault code explained and other common faults associated with Peugeot 308 and 207 models powered by Bmw / Mini PSA engines.
After many nights of pulling out my hair and and camping on Diagbox/ PP2000 trying diagnose why my Peugeot 308's engine has a lumpy misfire, rich fumes coming out the exhaust and limp mode (EML)coming up daily with a fault code P1339, I have drawn the following conclusions that Peugeot themselves have not done their homework correctly when they designed this whole system .
Since these models mentioned above , are driven by Bmw / Mini engines- PSA, I went and explored their fault codes and voila ! P1339 does not exist in the Peugeot fault codes list but does in Bmw and Minis.
The code means one of the following:
1.Faulty intermittent camshaft position sensors also crankshaft sensor .
2. Your valve timing could be out by one tooth but this will cause cylinders 1 and 3 compression to be lower than 2 and 4 for example ( leaky valves - the engine would be lumpy right across the rev range - idle to 6000rpm )and Mini quote this code as angular cam lobe incorrect. Your cars exhaust would smell of very rich gasoline fumes on idle and you would fail an emissions test as the injectors or told to inject more and the exhaust valves would be opening wider and before their time or later
Both the above problems would cause your car to run rich and have a lumpy idle
If it were to be be Faulty ignition coils , injectors and seals or unseated valves, your car would misfire from idle until 6000 rpm
So first check your valve timing before replacing camshaft sensors etc
A blocked catalytic converter would cause an rotten egg fume smell and hardly any pressure exiting the exhaust tail pipe and the o2 sensor no2 would not read much values . This can also cause cylinder 3 to misfire when the engine is hot as the smothered pressure between the catalytic converter and the manifold connecting to the head / exhaust outlet ,would cause a back pressure or blow back and cylinder number 3 is the closest hole to find back as per the design of the manifold
Limp mode explained- this is when your computer has detected 16x of the same sector faults and the ecu would go into protection or limp mode , the ecu would cut off the spark to .. ...yes... Cylinder number 3 . Pull spark plug number 3 out just after the car has gone into limp mode and you would find that it would be fouled with gasoline . Error code P1339 combustion misfire because the car went into limp mode . Very contradictory but it is because there is a permanent misfire in your engine.
These motors are known to jump a tooth in the vanos sprocket or the timing chains get stretched but there would be a rattling noise emanating from the left hand side of your engine bay, if your PSA engine sounds like a swarm of bees when running, your valve timing is out.
Remember , Peugeot electronics label cylinder 1 at the gearbox end / side, so when aligning your valve sequence and timing please keep this in mind as Bmw and Mini are at the Cam pulley side so a Peugeot valve locking alignment tool Must be used and not any other brand as their number 1 is opposite to Peugeots timing.
Also on these models , common problems with o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2 if it stays in .450 volts and comes up with an 02 error , it is a faulty connection on the 4 wire black plug especially on the orange wires' side going into the plug and not from the o2 sensors side.
Another common problem on the PSA engines are that the injector seals can fail and leak air causing blow back and permanent cylinder misfire or the rubber intake manifold gasket has deteriorated , both symptoms would be a permanent misfire that would be noticeable right across the rev range.
Make sure that your radiator fan kicks in often too, this can be configured by Peugeot or Diagbox / PP2000 software only
When replacing sensor parts , they must also be configured.
I hope that the above theories would help everyone worldwide who has encountered this problem with their Peugeots which Peugeot dealers could not explain themselves as they do not have time to explain . Thank you, case closed , you may now end your Google searches.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi m8,
Thanks for all that information. I’ve actually change coil in cylinder 3 and that didn’t help as I finally found misfire in cylinder 3 online. Just bought plugs this morning so going to change the lot but by reading that it sounds like my camshaft sensor(s) are shot. Definitely isn’t the timing had chain done @69,000mls and it’s only on 78,000mls there isn’t any chain rattle or noise to suggest chain is elongated. If I accelerate slowly the car is fine but if I put my foot down there’s a definite misfire and car jerks and stutters. Will look into getting both camshaft sensors replaced after I’ve done plugs. If that doesn’t cure the issue I think it’s time this fella said goodbye to the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,068 Posts
Open loop would normally be something the like lambda sensor or even the throttle position. I'm not sure on that engine, but open loop is when there's no feedback on the mixture, and it's running off preset maps. I dont know enough about your engine to say when that occurs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For anyone in this situation P1339 is misfire in cylinder 3, now here’s the dopey part by me 🙈 cylinders are numbered from right to left so I actually changed coil in cylinder 2, actually changed coil in cylinder 3 tonight and it’s back purring like a kitten.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First time i ever got this code. Battery was dead so I boosted it and drove it less than a mile and got the code. Back in the fall my speed would mess up so i was thinking that was a speed sensor. Thanks ace

1 - 9 of 9 Posts