Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed there is a club discount with ALA for GAP Insurance ....

I had my car (RAV4) stolen 3 weeks and 1 day ago (which I intend to replace with a DS4
)

I got the main Insurance payout start of this week, and the GAP shortfall difference (including £250 back from the main excess
) in the post today, just 3 weeks and 1 day after first reporting theft (spookily the same as the example quoted in the post about the GAP discount
)

Excellent service from all parties. I will be taking out another GAP policy with ALA once I get the DS4 and the 5% discount is a nice little bonus.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would recommend gap to any1. A woman ran into my husbands company car a week after he started work. Had it been our own car, the gap would have covered what wed have paid for the car. X

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've never had it . I've been driving 35 years never wrote a car off so to mythoughts if I write one off now the money I have saved over 35 yearswill buy me a new car . To be honest when salesmen insist on telling me about GAP insurance when I have already told them I don't want itreally annoy me . I won't buy extended warranty either . Now I have had that and when I tried to claim guess what NOT COVERED .

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SBK61 said:
I've never had it . I've been driving 35 years never wrote a car off so to my thoughts if I write one off now the money I have saved over 35 years will buy me a new car . To be honest when salesmen insist on telling me about GAP insurance when I have already told them I don't want it really annoy me . I won't buy extended warranty either . Now I have had that and when I tried to claim guess what NOT COVERED .
I've never wrote a car off either.
Didn't stop my car being stolen mind!
Worked out the cost of the gap insurance (£130) versus the payout on my claim (£5,800) is equivalent to over 44 total loss claims before the insurance would be more then the payout.
Just my experience

PS. Had extended warranty on my last RAV... Had all brake discs and pads replaced under warranty FOC and cost of that was equal to the extended warranty cost

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hoovie said:
SBK61 said:
I've never had it . I've been driving 35 years never wrote a car off so to mythoughts if I write one off now the money I have saved over 35 yearswill buy me a new car . To be honest when salesmen insist on telling me about GAP insurance when I have already told them I don't want itreally annoy me . I won't buy extended warranty either . Now I have had that and when I tried to claim guess what NOT COVERED .
I've never wrote a car off either.
Didn't stop my car being stolen mind!
Worked out the cost of the gap insurance (£130) versus the payout on my claim (£5,800) is equivalent to over 44 total loss claims before the insurance would be more then the payout.
Just my experience

PS. Had extended warranty on my last RAV... Had all brake discs and pads replaced under warranty FOC and cost of that was equal to the extended warranty cost
Ok so it worked out for you , Don't knowif you were lucky or unlucky ,lucky you were covered or unlucky you needed it .
You have to remember the insurance companies are in their game to make money not to look after us . They make lots of money from more people not claiming than claiming, if they didn't make any money they wouldn't supply cover .

Insurance is a waste of money till something goes wrong and then I suppose you wish you had it .I'll take my chances and won't bother thanks .

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Matter of crossing the right cover at the right price. The dealers GAP insurance is usually a least 3x the best price one and at THAT rate it is too much.
As it happens, I forgot I had GAP until the day after car got stolen as i had ummed and ahhed about it umtil I came across ALA and the price was acceptable for the cover and peace of mind (which is why people take out insurance in the first place, at any kind of level above the legal minimum).
You can be the most careful driver in the world, but doesn't stop someone stealing your car, ramming into you when minding your own business or a tree landing on your roof.
I have spent - and as it happens not claimed, so you could say wasted many thousands of pounds of money on health related insurance policies. If I knew then what I knew now regarding if I needed them, then I wouldn't have paid out for them, as not needed, but hindsight is not something I am blessed with but peace of mind at THE RIGHT PRICE is worth it.

As it happens, at then end of the day I was lucky I needed it in fact, as I was thinking of selling my old car anyway, so with GAP actually got around £6000 more then what it was worth at the time it went

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hey guys each to their own

1 - 7 of 7 Posts