DS4OwnersClub.co.uk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm travelling to France on holiday in a few weeks, do I need headlamp converters on my DS4??

I've got the standard Halogen headlamps and not xenon.

Regards
Steve

·
Registered
117 Posts
Stevietweeds said:
Hi all,

I'm travelling to France on holiday in a few weeks, do I need headlamp converters on my DS4??

I've got the standard Halogen headlamps and not xenon.

Regards
Steve

Yes, you do. Your lights will be directed towards the left and blind us European drivers ;) It is actually very annoying and we can normally spot you a mile off!!! Anyways - it is a *legal requirement* to adjust your headlights ... depending on how you travel to Europe, you may be able to buy them enroute. But, you can also buy headlamp converters from places like Halfords in the UK:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_172996_langId_-1_categoryId_165458

If you have Xenons, which you don't, you should be able to 'flick a switch' on each headlight to make it point to the right hand side.

R.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Stevietweeds said:
Great - thanks Richey.

No problem, the other thing to consider if you're driving in, or through France is that you are now legally required (as of earlier this year) to carry twobreathalysers - you can buy disposable ones. You also need a warning triangle, and at least one reflective jacket.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have xenon headlamps. In this thread there is talk of 'flicking a switch' to convert for driving in France. I'm probably being thick but is this true and if so where is the switch? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, did you ever find out about whether there is a switch to flick for converting the Xenon headlights? We phoned the DS Support line and they said we don't need to do anything as it's automatic....... it's not obviously! Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nothing. I put converters on as I didn't want any issues should I be stopped. (I wasn't!) Automatic? How can a car automatically know if it is driving on the right? I remain puzzled. Nothing in the handbook.

The car was a joy to drive in France.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think the term 'automatic' is incorrect - some Citroën models have a beam that allegedly means you don't need converters (our old Piccasso was one) but to be honest I still use the Halfords solution - I've not been flashed abroad once (except by helpful Frenchmen and women alerting me to a Gendarmes with a camera!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not convinced that we don't need converters, especially as the xenon lights are so bright. Is it easy to fit the Halfords stickers in the correct place? Because the headlights turn as the car turns, we weren't sure exactly where to put them.

·
Registered
544 Posts
On the Halogen lights there is a little '+' and you put the sticker under it - I can't remember exactly what you do with the Xenon lights but there is an option from the list of where to place it.

I suspect bending makes no difference as it goes left and right both in the uk and on the continent.Edited by: Frank Bullitt

·
Super Moderator
937 Posts
marzipan said:
Hi, did you ever find out about whether there is a switch to flick for converting the Xenon headlights? We phoned the DS Support line and they said we don't need to do anything as it's automatic....... it's not obviously! Thanks.
From the Manual:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/745079/Citroen-Ds4.html?page=131#manual

As a former user of HID Directional Headlights.(Skoda Octavia vRS)
The following should be adopted for driving on the continent:
Go into the Menu as described and turn off the adaptation function
This makes it fine for driving abroad
My last car CS, gave me this advice and I was never flashed while driving on the Continent

·
Registered
6 Posts
We took it into the dealer in the end, as they said we don't need converters or any adjustment, and reckon they have never had a problem driving a DS3 in France with Xenons, which have the same light pattern. They also said you can't put stickers on because the lights get so hot that it melts the adhesive on and the lights cost £3K to replace, and Citroen would have a product if they could (just to make money!). Apparently, no one else has ever asked, or had any problems not having converters.

However, I think we will get the stickers anyway so we are not blinding people, Halfords have them with instructions on how to fit to Xenon headights. There is the little "+" on the light so must be the same positioning as on the Halogen.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
492 Posts
A possible answer to one of the earlier questions about how a car could 'know' if your in France and driving on the left - could it be that it's using the GPS data ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts