Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so a follow up to my other post about headlight bulb upgrade and led kits

curiosity got the better of me and I purchased a set of the new H7 led kit after reading the limited info about them on the net
this sort of kit
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-H7-50W-CREE-LED-HEADLIGHT-FOGLIGHT-KIT-1800Lm-BRIGHTEST-LED-ON-THE-MARKET-/370829814569?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item56572deb29

I have to say they are very bright to look at but sadly don't fit my car

this is due to the led bulb part been so big it won't fit in the headlight, well it does but it won't fit in the heat shield bit inside the headlight.

I have fitted these in my friends car to see how good they are and to be honest when you look at the headlights they look very bright just like looking at a xenon headlight bulb but when you look at light produced on the road both me and my friend agree it is not strong enough.
yes it is very white and more of it compared to the halogen bulb but the light is not as intense and no where near what a xenon bulb produces.

led bulbs have move on but for me not enough for stand alone headlight bulbs
they would add good light if these were a driving light along side the main dipped beam.

so I have now gone back to my original plans to upgrade to a xenon bulb upgrade.
I already had the kit from a previous car conversion, just had to get some different H7 bulbs.

update to follow......

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok so I have upgraded to the xenon kit and the difference is incredible.
I ordered some H7R bulbs which are specially designed to go in a standard headlight and not for the projector lights.

Fitting was straight forward as this is predominately a plug and play kit, took about an hour from start to finish keeping things tidy.
I first started by marking the headlight beam pattern on the garage door so as I could check the alignment when I had finished.

The light is very white as I installed a 6000k bulb, and it picks up road markings and signs very well

Although this is a very bad picture taken on my phone on my way home last night it does show how bright and how much light is on the road.

The beam pattern lined up fine on the garage door with no light spillage going off all over the place
this mean it wont dazzle other drivers. this is due to the type of blub I used.

I completed this on Sunday and have had no issues with other driver in oncoming traffic.

have to say this has made a massive improvement to night driving

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great post dug,

Do you have a link for the kit, as you've just convinced me to upgrade mine. They do give off a far superior light & match the LED side lights/ DRL's

Paul

·
Registered
472 Posts
As balders says one of the best posts i have ever seen on here
. If my car didnt already have them i would use your precise instructions to upgrade

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all
well this is the kit I used, it's not the cheapest out there but I have had several kits from this company and loads of great advice, I have had dealings with them for several years now ( no I don't work for them haha )
they have been around years and I have never had any problems with them even when I had a return to make.

make sure if you get a kit to get the Reflector H7R bulb and I would recommend the 6000k bulb but that choice is yours
we are all different lol

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/H7-55w-Ultimate-Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit-H7ULT3.html

I have asked if they will do a discount for our forum :)
reply to follow....

·
Registered
395 Posts
Guys much as its tempting - Led headlights and HID (xenons) as aftermarket add ons WILL fail an MOT.
LED headlights as seen on some new cars use heavily modified CREE lens to magnify the LED and your normal headlight does not do this and will dazzle, unless you lower it -which fails the point somewhat.
The HID lights when fitted to a car MUST have auto levelling, and headlight washers fitted, or its a straight fail. These do not come with these kits and are almost impossible to retro fit.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RichI understand what you are saying, led onesdon't fit any way read my post

as for xenon ones, I have fitted H7R bulbs which are designed to fit in standard headlights and give the correct beam pattern and don't dazzle.
my mot is not until 2015 and I will just swap bulb back
if needed
I have had no issues thus far and the better light is what I was after
my friend has a Volvo which is fitted with this type of bulb from the factory and passes mot? yes its an older car but does not have self levelling fitted

Edited by: dug

·
Registered
395 Posts
Dug, the Dept of transport website says HID conversion kits on own are unlawful. Any conversion must have E approved lens as well as bulbs (different approval to halogen bulbs) It must comply with ECE regulation 48 which means self levelling and cleaning. All cars with xenons sold in past 4 years have had to comply.
Its up to you just stating the facts. A

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rich I have read loads about it, and you are correct you have stated the facts but I will take the chance for the better lighting for now

I also read this, old but made me laugh

Ministry of Transport's policy wording on HID lights via VOSA
""� VOSA states that a vehicle with HID lights MAY also have a self leveling system and head light washers..""�
The key word here is MAY, it is not a requirement and VOSA themselves say that they would only test what lighting components were available on the vehicle, so if your vehicle does not have a self leveling system then there is nothing to test.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/35636/watchdog-unfair-mot-failures

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi everyone I think this would be a worthwhile mod for me as I find driving at night more of a strain these days as my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, so I'll be doing this in the near future.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Dug, as I said choice is yours - heck I have blue LEDs on my grill, we pays our money!
It seems from article that NI have slight different wording which has this loophole for older cars but as DS4 only came out in 2011 ( and none eligible for MOT yet) it is covered by 2010 rules which do say required, this maybe vwhy friends older Volvo got through.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rich, you might be right about the Volvo.
daft thing is, I have just picked my car up from Citroen after it been in for it's first service they never mentioned light upgrade and on the check sheet in the car, it said headlights checked and working lol

yes I know you going to say " but did they check them or just tick the sheet"

like you say we are all different but for me this is a vast improvement on stock lighting

·
Registered
227 Posts
I fitted the Osram Nightbreaker lamps to both dipped and main beam lights and find that they are totally excellent in terms of light reach and brilliance (and where I drive there is no street lighting and a preponderance of wildlife roaming the roads, so good lighting is a must).
And the good point is that with those bulbs there is no ambiguity as regards legality of use.

(As an aside, I have read on various forums - not this one - about people fitting HIDs and the fairly common comment along the lines of "just take out the HIDs for the MOT and then put them back afterwards" and that really #^#%}** me off TBH as that is not the purpose of the MOT inspection and those same people then probably go on to complain about random roadside checks, and probably wonder why they are becoming more common!
RANT OFF now
)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was seriously considering upgrading my lights as I found the beam pretty rubbish on the roads at night. Low and behold instead I just turned down the level and that soled the problem. I would have liked the lights to have a blue tinge to them but instead I've decided to tint my headlights in the first instance. and I know the blue does look nicer but I've put myself off the idea by trying to convince myself I will never see the benefit

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi guys just read this post my old astra failed its mot with one of these kits on but on my old corsa it was fine as it had projector head lights and not reflector but not sure why that matters.. all I got told is reflector lamps scatter light.. so I have never touch one of these kits since just bought a car with manufacturer fitted ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Dug, I ordered a set of these but found they are too long and hit the metal reflector within the headlamp, how did you get round it?
I'm desperate to get a decent set of lights as I do 30k a year and you may as well have a candle in the stock ones, bloody frightening on country lanes!

·
Registered
40 Posts
can anyone recommend (LEGAL) replacement lamps... as had hids before and not risking it again due to previous car getting mot fail and a fixed penalty fine from the police for illegal lights with removal notice to prove there removed.found a few 6000k direct replacement lamps

1 - 20 of 35 Posts