DS4OwnersClub.co.uk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :) Have owned a lovely black 2011 DS4 for four years now, and the curse of lockdown has struck - haven't driven the car since Christmas Eve and have not had trime since to sort out a trickle charger.... and of course, the battery is dead.

Anyway, have now got a trickle charger from Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089SKPRZR/) and am now confused as to how to use it. Have no experience with charging batteries so am a bit nervous....!

Having looked on page 269 of the owners manual, it says to disconnect the postive connection battery first - did so and had a fair few sparks and a whiff of smoke. Guessing/hoping this is normal? Tried reconnecting and there were more sparks and a slight whine... so have left it off for the moment.

Anyway, do I connect the charger to the postive terminal, and then the negative to earth side bolt on the left side of the engine bay? Again, guessing so but want to make sure I do things right and don't blow up anything!

Any help would be greatly apprecited - thank you :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Does you model have Stop/Start, if it does you do not need to disconnect the battery to charge. In that instance connect the charger between positive and the earth stud/peg at the front of the engine.
If it is stop/start you need to have the mode in AGM for the charger.

On the battery the positive is at the front and accessible with the batter in situ. Is this the one you disconnected or did you get to the rear earth connection?

In addition, did you wait a few minutes after trying to start the car before disconnecting the battery +ve terminal?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Exactly as neilp says. I use mine regularly. I just lift the cover of the + terminal and connect the + cable to the terminal and connect the - cable to the earthing stud. Connect in that order + then -. Disconnect in reverse order - then +. If it's a decent trickle charger it will pick out the right mode, i.e. AGM for stop-start.

·
Registered
143 Posts
They do but there is a different setting for non stop-start batteries i.e. not AGM. Most decent trickle charges pick the right setting automatically, it could be smaller capacity battery for a motorcycle or lawnmower.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Why only if it has stop-start, should work on a normal car too.
The handbook specifically states the battery can be left connected for stop/start which suggests if not stop/start it should be disconnected.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
912 Posts
That's just advisory, a trickle charger will be fine.

No different to needing a jump start, but with less current ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts