Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed recently that NO ice alert appears on the car.The manual says the temp view flashes - but mine does not.
Does anyone else have this issue?

I also am suprised that with everything inc sat nav turns replicated in speedo that no ice alert symbol flashes there, as the temp guage is not easily in line of sight.

·
Registered
117 Posts
rich.cath said:
I have noticed recently that NO ice alert appears on the car.The manual says the temp view flashes - but mine does not.
Does anyone else have this issue?

I also am suprised that with everything inc sat nav turns replicated in speedo that no ice alert symbol flashes there, as the temp guage is not easily in line of sight.

Same here - no ice warnings at all...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for replies.Mine does nothing - had -3 yesterday and no message and temp did not flash. I suspect the outside temp sensor has an ice sensor that is not working.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It flashes once "warning ice alert" when you start the car or when the temp is between zero and plus 3 degrees

·
Registered
25 Posts
Indirectly related to the Ice Alert , has anyone had problems with diesel waxing? My DS4 1.6 HDI EGS suffered from this last Thursday night and cost £167 for a replacement fuel filter (as well as a whole day off the road).
In low temperatures, diesel goes cloudy , then waxy and gels as the lowering temperature causes a decrease in viscosity, (i.e. gets thicker), such that it clogs the fuel filter. This reduces fuel flow to the injectors with the result that the engine management system warning light came on and there was a loss of power - unable to do more than 50mph. (The ESP warning light simultaneously came on but reset itself overnight.)

Having done a bit of research, from mid November to mid March each year, diesel as supplied to filling stations for cars, vans, lorries etc should conform to UK Winter Fuel standards. This requires an additive to be incorporated to lower the waxing point to minus 5 C (not that low given recent temperatures). Summer fuel has a waxing point around +3C. Other countries around the World have different blends of additive to deal with their local climate.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has suffered from this phenomenon please. I took delivery of my DS4 October 2011 and last winter was just as cold and for longer, with no problems experienced. Prior to that I had two diesel BMWs and was driving in minus 17C ambient temperatures without difficulty.

The local Citroen dealership had a prepared statement on this for customers explaining the mechanism. Citroen are taking the stance this is not a defect. Given that every diesel car /van on the road doesn't seem to be suffering from this, it feels like something is not fit for purpose, and Citroen ought to rectify FOC.

On the upside, there is a diesel anti waxing agent on the market, which the dealership has suggested I add to the fuel. This lowers the temperature at which waxing occurs. About £20 worth of additive will treat 500 litres of diesel. Cheaper than shelling out £167 every time the temperature drops.

Be interested to hear if anyone else has been hit by this. The strange thing is, when this happened, I had driven over 50 miles continuously, (and was still driving at about 60mph), when the warning lights came on and the engine lost power. The lowest temperatures were probably 48hours earlier. On the night in question the temperatures were approximately +2C

·
Registered
312 Posts
ZIPPYI think something is not fit either with your dealer or filling station . I haven't heard of this happening for years and I work in the haulage industry, we send lorries to the top of Scotland and across europe with no fuel problems at all .I would guess its something at the filling station.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATEWell garage replaced temperature sensor, and broke the drivers wing mirror in doing so, still does not warn of cold temps to-boot.
Garage is a bit Heath Robinson though - they could'nt mend the hydraulic suspension on my Grand Picasso before (took months) - sad that they are a main dealer!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts