Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon,
I meant to put this up weeks ago, but just never got round to it.

I can connect up my Iphone via the cable no problem. However, it only seems to load up one album. However, if I go via the artists selection, all the artists are there. but this is an annoyingly long way to locate an album, and if the artist only sang one track on that album, you then need to do the same with every other artist to listen to the whole album.

Not sure if this is a problem with the car or with the phone. I have only got an Iphone 4, so is this the problem?

cheers as always.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The menu can be a little slow, especially if you have a lot of music on your iPhone, but I've never had this problem. TBH, because of the lack of speed on the menus, most of the time I pre-select the album/artist I want on the iPhone prior to plugging it in!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm actually quite annoyed by how utterly crap the DS4's iPod support is. It is simply not worthy of being in any car and every time I've tried to use it I've got angry and frustrated with how poor it is.

All I want to do is have my iPod classic plugged in and left in the car and able to easily play randomly from all the available songs (nearly 6,000) when I switch to it. When I plug the iPod in it just starts the first song alpabetically from the first artist. There's no simple option I can find to start random play. I have to go through some menus to find an option for Random (there is also a Radom All option that is always greyed out) and then start by selecting a track after getting to the song list (another example of unintuitive menu layouts).

It then displays a number out of 999 as it apparently can't cope with more tracks than that. I've no idea what the number before that refers to (i.e. 361/999) as I can't determine what order it has apparently put the tracks into (perhaps they are shuffled, but is it selecting from all available songs).

I've also found that if I skip to the next track from the one currently playing, it sometimes changes to only playing songs from the album that the next track belongs to. Interestingly, the times it has done that it has always gone to the same album (which happens to be the first album of the second artist when listed alpabetically).

Also, when using my iPod classic, it will just stop playing after a while (less than 30 mins) and claims the iPod is not connected. This doesn't seem to happen with my iPod Touch.

I've actually spent the last two weeks on holiday in the USA with a new Nissan Pathfinder (the one currently only on sale in North America) as a rental. The iPod connectivity system on there was exactly as it should be. It recongnises the iPod quickly and doesn't spend long "loading data". You then get a menu giving access to artists, albums, genres, podcasts etc. You also have a menu option for Shuffle All Songs which starts a random play from everything on the device. the screen displays song/album/artist info and displays the correct number of songs on the device (no stupid 999 limitiation). If Nissan can get it right, how come Citroen aren't capable of the same thing?

To be honest, it's spoiling my ownership experience of the DS4 as I always like to listen to to music while I'm driving. I end up just switching to a DAB station out of frustration. Along with the bluetooth microphone problems, Citroen need to seriously look at the quality of some of the features of a supposedly 'premium' car. It really can't be that hard to get something like iPod/USB connectivity right and easy to use given the amounts of money spent on developing cars across Citroen and Peugeot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
good evening all, i have an ipod touch and found that when i plug it in it starts to play the songs, but once i move the wheel to change tracks on my steering wheel or even skip to the next song on the stereo it will go back to the first song and keep playing the first song, i work for vw and i know they dont have them problems so why do Citroen??

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey..all you folks who cannot get full functionality should consider yourself lucky....

My ipod does not even connect most of the time.

When I turn the ignition on and start the car up , after all the normal checks i get the ipod connection failure info come up.

I have had my ds4 since april 2012 and the ipod function has never worked properly...had the car back to the dealers who suspected a faulty usb port and changed it..made no difference.

It has worked a few times and then without rhyme or reason it packs up again ....then when it decides to start up it goes back to the first artist and album.....

To be honest i dont think Citroen cares.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reponses guys.
I tried it through the blue tooth the other day, and that was even worse. Literally played one song and that was it. It would not go to any other song.

I am going to call Citroen today/tomorrow for some other things, so will try and book it in for this as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
also have problems with the ds4 ipod system, although at least it doesn't skip like a scratched cd like it did in my ds3.
Once I have labouriously set it to play songs randomly it will generally work and sometimes, but not always, when I plug it in again/start the car it will load up the ipod with the same settings still active (which sounds like better than some). However the issue I have is that it then plays the same "random" songs as the previous time I used it in the car, meaning I spend a minute or so flicking through songs till I get to a new "random" song. Anyone any ideas?

Edited by: glasgowsheep

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. I have given up trying to get a decent audio solution. Bluetooth (which would reliably play all songs randomly) is crap quality, iPod connection works, but as you said, half the time it starts from the beginning not with random on, sometimes carries on, and all the time, plays the same songs over again (supposedly randomly!). Annoying as...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Add me into this one, iPhone and 2 different iPods. Intermittent connecting. Restarts at the beginning of the same track every time. Hopelessly slow control if it works. All in all useless just like my 2012 c4 was. Dealer hopeless and no solution on the horizon. Wish I could ripp the citroen crap radio out and fit an alpine grrrrrrrr. This is my biggest gripe with citroen. I loved my c4 vtr plus and I love my ds4 but why for god sake do we have to put up with this £&@te audio system

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the connection issue in that when I use the cable my car radio only sees and plays the first track and says reading data, all other tracks are invisible.

I can also only play all tracks on my ipod (iPhone actually) by BT and can only action the tracks from the phone. Is this correct or should I be able to use the steering wheel controls?

I'm only 4 days in ownership so it could be user error on both counts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you're using bluetooth you'll only be able to control the iPhone from the device itself and not use the streering wheel controls. To be honest, that would probably work better anyway as you'd have more control over the music than through the car's crappy controls. However, other people have said that the bluetooth streaming sounds so bad it's unusable (not tried it myself as I have an iPod Touch and I don't think that would be compatible for bluetooth streaming).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just picked up my ds4 first thing I tried when I got home was my 5th generation iPod nano connecting it via USB but it only plays two tracks from the same artist nothing else shows despite having around 700 songs on my iPod! Anyone got any ideas? Can't do without music when I'm driving, very pleased with car other than this, HELP!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
This is weird. I was just thinking the other day how well the iPod connectivity works on my DS4 (with eMyWay system).
I can list & select by Artist, Album or Genre and as far as I can tell access everything on a full 30GB device.

I am using an iPod Video (I think that is 4th gen device? Bought in either June or Dec 2006 in the US). I have connected my iPhone 4S a couple of times and that worked fine as well, although more limited usage.

Maybe so,ethng to do with model and firmware variations?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had the same problem with my iPod when I got my car. I read up about it and apparently coz I got the iPod 4. The system doesn't support it. Only the iPod 5 onwards. Xx

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've just had my ds4 for two days and have also had problems with my iPod using USB ( no Bluetooth on this iPod) initially would only play two songs by same artists, I then managed to get onto playlists but couldn't choose which playlist , it played through the first playlist then moved on to the next playlist which was the one I wanted so although not ideal and not a patch on my previous system it's not a complete disaster, I'll keep at it and see if I can improve things with a bit of fine tuning I live in hope lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
Caz1975 said:
I had the same problem with my iPod when I got my car. I read up about it and apparently coz I got the iPod 4. The system doesn't support it. Only the iPod 5 onwards. Xx
Just checked and the iPod Video (device I have and works well) is actually a 5th gen iPod, so that ties up with what you found out, Caz
(my iPod 6 - the "classic" - got stolen along with my last car
)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Back to the iPod issue, I've managed to get mine playing ok, I've also found how to change tracks easily just hit the list button on the steering wheel controls and scroll up or down to highlight the track I want then press the scroll button to select that track a bit better than I'd hoped after reading some of the posts about it, the sound quality seems quite reasonable too! I've also tried loading music onto a USB stick but that didn't work although it did work on my wife's Peugeot 208 ? I'll keep at it though as the USB means there's no cables etc cluttering up the cabin. Still love the car though but ICE not citroen's strong point I think.

·
Registered
202 Posts
See. I'm not just a pretty face ˜�
I've not tried the USB yet. I play all my music through my phone on my podcast. It does sound a little tinny wen I got it blasting though. Still I'm not complaining. Xx

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use my iphone 4 and can access and use the steering wheel controls, using the roller on the right side to go forward and backwards. However as far as I can see I can only scroll through the full list of my tunes, but the quality is fine.

I do however sometimes have trouble connecting initially, but once it is it works fine. Sometimes it recognises it straight away and sometimes I need to to connection manager to get it to connect but it always does and works fine after.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts