Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, potential DS4 buyer here,
I had a sit in a DS4 today and the one thing bugging me was how high the clutch pedal is, I didnt have the time to drive it tho, (1.6HDi)
can anyone confirm what DS4 clutches are like in heavy commuting type traffic, with average speeds in London of 9 miles an hour,mostly in low gears I dont need ankle ache.
cheers
plongs2

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 1.6Hdi that I test drove had a high clutch too. Have you thought of buying an automatic? I bought a 2.0Hdi automatic - my first automatic - and my only regret is that I didn't swap to automatic drive before. I suppose there is a general thought that an automatic is not 'proper' driving and that you don't have full control of the car, but my experience is that it is an easier drive, especially in stop start traffic. Mine is very smooth and economic (44mpg from an engine that has only covered 2500 miles). I certainly find driving in heavy congested a lot less tiring and on the open road the car is just as entertaining.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi , thanks for that, I would consider an auto if i had not just spent 2 years taking an a3 back to the garage to get the faulty stronic gearbox sorted out. Audi tried hard to fix it but even on the last day when i collected it i passed a lady complaining about the same faulty dsg box. Is the citroen a standard slush box, or is it full of dodgy trickery? I have seen the 1.6 auto on youtube and it looks awful!
cheers
plongs3

·
Registered
544 Posts
The 1.6HDi comes with the EGS option, which is an automated manual and has its known issues - I wouldn't buy one... The 2.0HDi is a traditional 6-speed slusher and genuinely bomb-proof, if it ever goes wrong they are an exception.

S-Tronic (DSG) in my opinion is not as clever as it ought to be and known to be littered with faults. A DS4 2.0HDi auto is perfect.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with Frank. I looked into the EGS option, but came across enough reported issues to put me off. The 2.0Hdi automatic on the otherhand is a traditional torque converter and I have found it excellent so far. The changes are seamless and it hasn't got 'confused' at any stage. I also understand that the torque converter automatic does away with the dual mass flywheel, which is becoming an increasing problem with diesel cars. I believe that because the EGS automatic is really an automated manual (it still has a clutch), the flywheel remains, but I am no expert on this, so you may wish to check for yourself if you go down this route.

Edited by: PaulE

·
Registered
36 Posts
I found my previous C4 VTR+ had a high clutch pedal to, it took a week or more to get used to it, although it could be a little annoying in city traffic. The DS4 has a similar clutch position but probably not so pronounced.
Citroens can be a little different, that's part of their charm, and the design and style of the DS4 compensates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts