Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am looking at buying a DS4 2.0 HDI Sports but struggling to find a decent one on my budget of £9200. So was considering the 1.6 HDi, but my main concern is that a few people say the 1.6 is underpowered?........your thoughts would be appreciated

·
Registered
54 Posts
Its all down to personal preference, I'd test both if your not sure.

I have the 1.6hdi and after coming from a civic 2.2 type s I was a little underwhelmed.

I have had a remap it has made a huge difference from 110 to 140ish hp and nm from 270 to 320 I enjoy the drive better plus I'm getting better fuel something else I found disappointing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
el--lobo said:
Its all down to personal preference, I'd test both if your not sure.

I have the 1.6hdi and after coming from a civic 2.2 type s I was a little underwhelmed.

I have had a remap it has made a huge difference from 110 to 140ish hp and nm from 270 to 320 I enjoy the drive better plus I'm getting better fuel something else I found disappointing.

What mpg were you getting before the remap? and what are you getting now?

·
Registered
544 Posts
The 1.6HDi is no ball of fire but it's a nice unit, pulls well and has ample performance - ours was happy to bat along at 130 clicks on the autoroute full of booze and holiday gear.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My regular route to work mixture of motorway inner city driving 30miles per day was always getting about 47mpg now 50to52mpg

I had a mix remap which is performance and economyEdited by: el--lobo

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've driven the 1.6HDI for 18 months and 30k miles, good motorway cruiser and decent overall performance. Car is a little heavy and bulky to be a top performance 1.6 diesel.

As regards remapping, I always ask myself the question, if remapping can give both better performance AND economy why don't Citroen tune it that way initially. Isn't there some downside somewhere? Can't answer this myself.

MSH.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Citroen give them a standard setup, the ecu can be tweaked just as you would tweak a computer processor to gain performance.

·
Registered
544 Posts
MSH said:
As regards remapping, I always ask myself the question, if remapping can give both better performance AND economy why don't Citroen tune it that way initially. Isn't there some downside somewhere? Can't answer this myself.

MSH.
Your car is designed to tow a near 1500kg load up a 1:3 hill in 45c with dust on poor quality fuel and no side effects - if you drive like that most of the time a remap isn't a good idea; however, if you occasionally boot your car from a roundabout with your foot to the floor for 5-10 seconds once a journey then that's not really going to ever push the performance parameters type-approved cars have been designed for. My A2 is mapped (and declared) and has been for 8 years, it has never caused a side effect that are negative and I rarely spend any time 'pushing' the car but I no longer need to change down on the motorway to catch up with traffic, steep hills or so on. Whilst I do occasionally 'boot it' most of the time it allows me to travel around in a higher gear and so overall my economy wasn't affected post remap but performance was changed; where it used to hit a brick wall at 3000rpm it now pulls to the red line at 5000rpm (safer overtaking) for the rare occasions I do it. Mine was rolling-road tested, a generic map put on and then adapted to suit the specific characteristics.

It's also good fun keeping on the boot lid of Audi A3 2.0TDi's that expect my 'inferior' Audi to be dropped away from roundabouts! They don't realise it has 203lbft of torque pulling a car 400kg lighter!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts