Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted a K&N filter to their 2.0 diesel ? Ive always fitted them to every car Ive had, and always noticed an improvement. I'm having trouble sourcing one, but someone must have them in stock. I'm talking about the ones that fit in the original air box, not cone ones.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This may or may not be relevant , but the people on the RAV4 forum who have tried the K&N on their 2.2D have usually removed it as it made the vehicle noticeably noiser without any performance benefit. Did you notice noise increase yourself on your cars?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hoovie said:
This may or may not be relevant , but the people on the RAV4 forum who have tried the K&N on their 2.2D have usually removed it as it made the vehicle noticeably noiser without any performance benefit. Did you notice noise increase yourself on your cars?

No noise increase, but better fuel economy, it feels to pull better but without a before and after on the rollers who can say.

·
Registered
395 Posts
At a car run near Bedford a couple of weeks ago, the consensus is that after market air filters give minimal benefit on most modern cars, so be cautious and don't spend a lot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive always noticed a slight increase in noise, but the uprated sound system has always countered that.

My Alfa was much better with the K&N and my Land Rover 200TDi Discovery went much better with a full width intercooler and ITG Foam filter. !50BHP and bags of torque allowed me to tow uphill whilst accelerating in 5th. I still miss it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There is a site that does an air filter for the DS4 1.6 I know of assuming 2.0 won't be different for the air filter, just checked, if you send me a PM I will give you the site, not sure if I can post sites in the forums

·
Registered
281 Posts
seen this on e bay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-DS3-DS4-DS5-C8-AIR-FILTER-COLD-AIR-FEED-INDUCTION-KIT-2103CR-/151111794658?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ADS4&hash=item232ef6ffe2

·
Registered
281 Posts
you mean these sort then

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33-2936-K-N-AIR-FILTER-CITROEN-DS3-1-6-2010-2013-Turbo-/380625469634?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ADS4&hash=item589f0bc0c2

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yup that's what i think he meant by air filter, you just pop your old one out and put the new one right in, just gives a better air flow into the engine. I used to have one in My Clio 197 before this car and it just made the car sound louder, although I did decat the Clio so the filter wasn't gonna do much :)

And always remember to add the stickers so the dealers don't remove it when they do your annual service!

I prefer a quieter car unless you're purposely wanting a loud' car

Edited by: Newkiebrown

·
Registered
94 Posts
The induction kit gives a more grunty noise to the car where as the filter just gives it a bit more loudness if you get what i mean, but the induction kit means removing the current air intake box and filter and replacing with that, not a big job but it is a change that would affect insurance etc.

Where as air filter is just a better designed filter that's not made from paper and allows air to flow better into the engine hence the slight power gains.

By the way I am no expert on this stuff but I learned little bits from my last car mods

·
Registered
281 Posts
hi i was told that if you fit a induction kit it is louder like you say but you will use more fuel as well is that right anyone, where's if you just upgrade the air filter it wont use more fuel ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
The air filter will use slightly more fuel than standard but it is negligible, however an air induction kit will use more, you might be talking 10% or so. it is more with both but due to the limitations of the airflow from the filter it is not as noticeable. But both technically utilise more fuel.

The power gains that you will see result from better airflow into the system. From what i can gather your ECU has a set ratio of fuel to air for combustion (unless you get this remapped which utilises the fuel more efficiently) which produces the power into the engine, a better airflow means the engine combusts more fuel as it has more air to utilise and hence the power gains. That is not the exact technical explanation but a summary in my own words of what I believe happens. The air filter replacement just maximises the airflow into the engine through the airflow box, however the induction kit produces a smooth airflow right from the intake all the way to the engine and removes the air intake box altogether (that is the pipe you see which replaces the box).

Happy to be corrected by someone of a technical nature.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would say though that on A clio 197, I only saw about 2BHP increase with the air filter (bearing in mind this is on a 197BHP engine) , if you're just after a more grunty sounding engine it is a cheap and easy modification to make but if you want more power you're really looking at proper modifications. The air filter is really a cosmetic change (ok so it's not cosmetic, as it is audible rather than visible, but you get where I'm coming from).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts