Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Had my Black THP200 since Sep. Nice car. Unfortunately it looks like we kerbed the tyre (19") and it has caused a small rip in the sidewall which eventually led to slow puncture. Not Good. Hardly worn. Bummer.

So, the pressure sensor system told me it was a problem. Good. Removed wheel and tried to use space saver on front. Not fitting due to big disk. Not Good. Took back wheel off instead and put it on front. Saver on back. OK.

Start up car now and TPMS still says the front left is low despite it being the old back wheel which is fine. Doesn't complain about the space saver at all. (This tells me that each wheel is tied in to it's place perhaps).

How can that be reset so that the wheels can be tied to new positions if I wanted to move the wheels around for even wear? I do want to put the new one on the back.

Next, start driving and loads of errors pop up that weren't happening before: ABS, ESR, Anti rollback, Electric Parking brake all reporting errors. Parking brake no longer automatic, having to set/unset it manually. Is this because one of the TPMS sensors is currently in the boot? I don't think I dislodged a rotation sensor on the hub - hardly touched it.

I suspect that when I pay a fortune to replace the tyre and refit the wheel, that it will sort itself out. If that does happen then it's shockingly bad programming. Anyone seen this already?

Anyhow it's under warranty so they will have to fix it if the errors persist. It would be nice to be able to resolve simple things myself though, like tyre sensor mapping.

Cheers,
Jon

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jon, When I bought my 2012 DSport I had a tyre pressure warning message whilst on my way to London.I thought typical as first long journey I'm doing but next day when tyres were cold I checked pressures and found n/s/f had a rear pressure i.e. 35psi and o/s/r had a front pressure i.e. 38psi.I realised the dealer had put rear tyres on front and the sensors had not been reset.I redid pressures but message kept coming on but after a while the ecu did reset and I've not had a problem since.
I've just had two new tyres fitted to rear and the tyre people showed me an electronic gadget which resets the ecu straight away and I've not had any problems.

The ecu expects signals from all four tyre sensors but as you've got the punctured wheel in the boot I think these issues relate to that.Easy way to find out is get tyre replaced and back on the front and see what happens.When you get it fitted ask tyre people if they have the device to reset sensors as lots of cars now have tpms fitted.I would expect continued fault messages until you have a new tyre fitted.
With a tyre inflation problem the computer gives a visual message like, n/s/f tyre low monitoring.Then message goes out and is replaced by a "service" warning light which stays on until ignition is switched off but will come on again until pressure is correct and sensor reset.

It would be worth asking the dealer if the ecu will reset automatically given a little time.They may say no bring it in and we'll reset it but a tyre company might be a better option and cheaper!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I'm still waiting as the tyre people let me down and it's bank hol tomorrow. Joy. I'm also wondering what the difference between a michelin pilot sport and super sport is. Can't seem to get hold of the former very easy.

Meanwhile every journey is full of beeps...

Maybe I need one of these gadgets. Probably just a canbus communication thing with specific reset messages.

One thing I can't find anywhere is the tyre pressure sticker. Supposed to be on door pillar but no. So it's 38 on front and 35 on rear - interesting. Is that for 19 inch low profilers? I'd very much appreciate the full load range settings if you could as I can't find it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The car doesn't know the original front wheel is on the boot and not physically mounted on a hub, so of course it is still saying the pressue on the front left is low!
The space saver has no TPMS sensor in it, so is not a factor in the equation.
The messages about ABS, ESR, etc are very likely to be related to the car thinking you have a tyre in with a very low pressure fitted to the car (point one) and those features could well be unsafe to have enabled in that pressure mismatch left to right - so actually shockingly GOOD programming I would say!
Each sensor is linked to a specific hub. Just because YOU have moved a wheel, the CAR doesn't know that, does it!

Every journey is full of beeps .... are you aware the space saver is only meant as an emergency "get you home" type solution and not one to drive around on generally??
Resetting sensors - I would be amazed in any tyre dealer had the kit to re program tyre sensors, either new ones or if rotating tyres around - there are two many OEM systems around to make that viable, and you would need to go to a main Dealer for that service, and almost certainly they will charge you for it.
Get the tyre replaced, back on the front where it came from (and check the wear level of the front right - if it is quite worn, you may well need to replace that as well so they are not too unbalanced in terms of rotational speed, which could muck up some of the systems like ABS, ESR, etc) and then see where you are with the system messages.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know where you are coming from re code readers,manufacturers and dealersdon't want customers tobe able to diagnose faults so most code readers are specific to one make of vehicle so having a device that can reset fault codes on most vehicles does seem amazing.The tyre dealer had the hand held device although I didn't get chance to have a good look at it and I guess he was promoting his business by saying he can reset tyre valve sensors.The valve part of the complete sensor is changeable but he said it was a solid screw in valve rather than the rubber one fitted to my car so he just left the valves and maybe there was no issue to deal with in regards any resetting.
It may be he had purchased a few code readers to cover the popular vehicle with TPMS.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would of thought the TPMS was standard on a DSport but could be wrong.Maybe you could find ref to it on the computer?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The tyre info sticker,and it is just a stick on label,is located on the drivers door front pillar just below the door check.It gives front and rear pressures in Bar which converts to 38psi front and 35psi rear. It also gives tyre size,make and type i.e. Michelin Sport as fitted when new.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jon Mills said:
Thanks for your replies. I'm still waiting as the tyre people let me down and it's bank hol tomorrow. Joy. I'm also wondering what the difference between a michelin pilot sport and super sport is. Can't seem to get hold of the former very easy.

Meanwhile every journey is full of beeps...

Maybe I need one of these gadgets. Probably just a canbus communication thing with specific reset messages.

One thing I can't find anywhere is the tyre pressure sticker. Supposed to be on door pillar but no. So it's 38 on front and 35 on rear - interesting. Is that for 19 inch low profilers? I'd very much appreciate the full load range settings if you could as I can't find it.

Yes, pressures I quoted are for 225/40 R19 tyres.

·
Registered
27 Posts
essexpaul said:
I have not got a TPMS light on the dash or does it only come on if the tyres are low?

The warning light comes on if you have a pressure problem but to check if you have TPMS turn your ignition on and in the right hand gauge,the fuel gauge one, warning lights come on for a couple of seconds,this is normal and is a test of the functions and when they go out that confirms they are all working ok.If you have TPMS you will see a tyre end section icon which has an exclamation mark inside it,that's the icon which confirms you have TPMS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings:
I just experienced the same problem where just after replacing a tire the car started showing strange messages such as, Brake Failure, Engine fault, Vehicle Roll back warning, ESP warning and etc., hence the electronic handbrake is dysfunctional, so I am wondering what would be the problem.....I even thought perhaps its a tyre pressure but after tryingto adjust the tire pressure the messages continued.

Is there anyone who knows what would be the problem

Percy

·
Registered
544 Posts
Are you running a spare wheel?

If you use a wheel of different diameter (i.e. The space saver) the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree because the rolling diameter is different to the rest of the wheels and the car initially thinks there is a traction issue then realises it can't sort it so goes into fault mode where all the support systems are disabled.

Putting a replacement full size wheel on solves it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.