Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to this forum.. I am look at maybe buying a ds4 after christmas but I have come across a few bad reviews from the likes of parkers etc and I have always been slightly put of by french cars due to there reputation,,, but this car has really caught my eye... I am looking at the 2.0 diesel 160hp dsport model..
Any feedback from owners would be great thanksEdited by: mattyh3

·
Registered
94 Posts
I test drove the 2.0 litre version and although I bought the 1.6 diesel the 2.0 litre is the one to choose if you want power. I'd never owned a diesel so getting used to the lower power band is a challenge in itself (6 weeks on and I am still figuring it out).

They are nice inside. Maybe too much going on via the steering wheel but you can just ignore all the buttons.

I've found that although it is much bigger than my old car (I had a Clio 197) it doesn't feel bigger when it comes to parking and driving and you soon get used to it.

Aesthetically I love the look of it both at the front and back and to be honest this is the main thing that swayed me from the DS3. It looks stocky at the front and classy at the back with the chrome effect exhaust.

Downsides (all cars have them)

1. Not a great load of feedback through the steering so you don't feel the road as such.

2. The steering does feel very light, it's almost like driving a dodgem car for how easily the steering wheel turns.Having said that, unless you drive the car hard you're never going to know or even notice this.

3. One other small point is that the centre of the wheel isn't static so when you turn the car the volume buttons move with it, this is annoying if you want to change the volume while turning as you have to look at the wheel to see where the button is. I guess it encourages you not to fiddle about with the audio whilst making turningmanoeuvres

I still do smile every time I walk out to the car though, it's rear faces me so it does look very classy.

I would urge you to test drive it then leave it a week or so then test drive it again, I loved it the minute I got in it and I'd test drove a couple cars before I got in this one (I didn't actually even have a DS4 on my radar when lookingbutsaw it whilst at the garage test driving a Kia Ceed).

Cars drove which didn't even compare close:

Kia Ceed
Hyundai i30
Hyundai i40
Renault Clio (0.9 TCe and 1.5DCi)
Citroen C4 (I test drove this once I'd seen the DS4 as there is quite a difference in price between them).

Obviously different people will have different views but I thought I would give you a critical view of what I find niggly about it rather than just saying it's great, which in all fairness if you asked me to sum up I would say

Edited by: Newkiebrown

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the reply... I have read that alot on test drives about the steering and lack of feel from the road... I had a diesel astra a while back with a tuning box on and that was great until I bought a seat leon cupra!! Even though it is a really nice car to drive the mpg is a killer..
I must admit I like going to my local dealer just to look at one
I just need to test drive one when they get a diesel in

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a Clio 197 which I decatted before my DS4, 26-30MPG isn't fun and that was normal driving, if I put my foot down I had to close my eyes and never look as tears in your eyes are bad for driving

if you have a great salesman like I did he will tell you not to compare your 2.0ltr track car to a 1.6 sensible almost family car (I am so glad he pointed that out....)

But it feels nice to sit in, it is roomy without feeling like it's just got room for the sake of it. also when you look in the back I would urge you to actually sit in the back, there's more room in the back than when you look at it

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Mattyh3

I think I was the same as you, was out driving my previous car and drove past a citroen garage, saw the ds4 and was really attracted to it, went in and had a look took it for a test drive and bought one, I got the DS4 Sport 200THP with some extra bells and whistles on it, 18 months later it still puts a smile on my face, looks fantastic always turns heads and will bobble around town at 30 no problems and when you get the chance to put your foot down it does go some.

As previously advised get a good test drive give it a week and get another one I didn't but that does seem like good advice.

Hope you like it as much as you think you might

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just requested a test drive but trying to get one of those 24 hour ones that a lot of dealers are doing now.
Just got to wait until march to buy one to save some more pennies if I like it..
What it the 200thp like on mpg.. I have leon cupra and I am lucky to get 30mpg

·
Registered
472 Posts
The last 6000 miles Iam showing 38.3 on the trip I don't really drive for economy and am sure if I tried I could get the 40. Most of my driving is around town with longish runs on a weekend

·
Registered
46 Posts
deresim said:
The last 6000 miles Iam showing 38.3 on the trip I don't really drive for economy and am sure if I tried I could get the 40. Most of my driving is around town with longish runs on a weekend

Thats good going for a petrol, one of the reasons I'm looking at the diesel sport is to save on fuel, might have a rethink about the petrol version.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hion fuel consumption. I will quote in L/100km as that is what mine is in. I have a 200THP (Love it!!!!)
have had it for 9000km and my average is 7.5L/100km. I am a pretty conservitave driver around town, but do give a burst as well.

yes it has its quirks and cons but it really is unique. that is why i got it plus all the extras which you have to pay for if you get the golf

dont dither to long. just get it, you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well what a joke my local dealers was.. I got an email to ring them to book me test drive and all I got on the phone was,, just turn up sometime and someone might be able to give you a test drive or you will have to try another time lol Edited by: mattyh3

·
Registered
472 Posts
Matty

Clethorpes must have more than one dealer, it will be worth the drive to another one

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes there is one 15 miles away... but I was that annoyed I went in on my way home and a nice young girl went and got the car out theshowroom for me, the exact model I want aswell.
But now I know why my local dealer has such I bad reputation now.
I would like to say I was very impressed with the car, drove really well and I was very surprised how silent it was for a diesel nothing like the poor reviews they get from the likes of parkers

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, I went to my local dealer and they didn't have a DS4 at all, and suggested they would get one in if I agreed to buy it.

Hmmmm.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I definitely wont be buying one from them.. just a shame I have to wait might just have to use them on the odd time for a test drive to curb my desire for one lol... I found the electronic handbrake weird but just a shame there a problem when the cold weather hits..

·
Registered
472 Posts
Marty

I've been through a winter with mine and had no problems with the handbrake, you can leave it off if you want if you are talking about it freezing on, after I've washed it I always leave it off when I park it if it is going to bee coldEdited by: deresim

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think that french cars have had a lot of bad press for no reason, citroen have always had a point of difference to other makes, their quirkyness for one, styling outside the norm, not like the other euro boxes, I am now on my 8th citroen, and hav'nt had a days trouble with any of them, and the DS4 has got to be the best of the bunch to date !! I
my black beauty. x

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just tried to look at top gear one but something is wrong with it.. but I happened to come across the ds4R that was a the geneva show.. I hope they decide to make them

1 - 20 of 50 Posts