Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many thread about the EGS gearbox.
Some absolutely love it, others strongly dissuade you from it.

Have any of you opt-ed for the EGS gearbox? Can you share your experience on how you tamed it?

My main concern seeing that I recently moved to Hong Kong from London (much much more crowded here), and I used to drive a manual, is that one day I will either mistakenly run into some pedestrian, or another car when parking.

Imagine driving through Brick lane or Portebello on a Sunday (which is what HK is like everywhere in town every day around HK), then having a sudden itch in the right leg.

With the EGS gearbox, you can't just stick it into gear, and let the car roll, and only control the speed with the clutch pedal (or brake pedal for that matter). Cos the car does not move until you use the gas pedal. If you suddenly went a little heavy footed, it may be too late to try to brake. I am not seasoned left foot braking guy, and when I tried it almost became a emergency brake (cos the DS4 brakes are set quite high, and very sensitive IMO).

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am driving the ds4 thp 155 with egs gearbox .
To get the best out of it i always use the paddle shifters to change gear. For me its easier than driving a real manual. The trick is to release the accelerator pedal slightly when upshifting and when you feel the gearchange progressively step on the accelerator pedal, (my timing is about 2 seconds).
In this way we minimise the lurching but its only felt from 1st to 2nd gear only and gear changes at higher gearing it is not a problem.

Hope this helps. Cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have almost mastered the lower speeds in my 155 THP EGS. I used to find that I would almost launch forward as I pressed the accelerator. I now feather it when required and don't have a problem in busy built up areas.

I agree about the sensitivity of the brakes too. i nearly ended up on the bonnet on my test drive. It made it worse that i drive a classic mini too, it's brakes are far from sensitive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, having had it for 6 months now. Kinda got really used to it. Only 2 remaining problems now.

1. EGS gets a bit indecisive (1/2) on steep upward incline. I guess, this just means to pre-empt it by manually down shifting earlier than its indecisiveness kicks in.

2. Whenever I drive anyone else's car, I am braking braking braking, and their car doesn't stop, lol

·
Registered
267 Posts
Isutinum - Agree, it can get indecisive at 1/2 on steep slopes..what i do is either i approach the slope or car ramp at second gear and keep flooring the throttle to keep up the revs or simply downshift to first gear at the base of the slope and then feather it on the way up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My egs gets totally confused between 2 and 1 and has a nervous breakdown on occasions.Just as well this car is good looking or it would be heading to the dogs home, along with the dog

·
Registered
19 Posts
My worry is that you only use the accelerator to control the car in parking. Had it been a normal manual with a clutch, the control is much easier and more sure footed. A slight slack in your right foot control during parking will rack up a costly bill at the repairer's!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True, I avoid parallel parking on slopes, eg around LKF.
Otherwise, its generally ok, just pretend the accelerator is the clutch, its sensitivity is progressive anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts