Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the egs is acting up again. Twice in the last week, I put the car in gear, but it stays in neutral and won't engage the drive. I thought it had been resolved.If you leave it for 10 minutes, it fixes itself, but still annoying and embarrassing if it acts up in wrong place (eg at fuel pump).Anybody else had this problem

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hutch
Yes had this twice and in both cases in the middle of no where . No mobile signal either. On both occcasions, I got out of the car, zapped it locked . Gave it a few minutes and it was ok but worrying. This was then followed by a display of slipping gears ... where in reverse the gear was picked and dropped picked and dropped, so although you could get motion it was stuttering. Did same as before , out, zapped locked and, like yours, the fault had cleared itself. Took to dealer. they had it for two days , allegedly did software reboot .upgrade and otherwise No Fault Found. It has been ok since but you can't feel confident it won't happen again. Out of interest the first time this happened , I was doing some dodgy parking , backwards/forwards, backwards/forwards and it was after that I got N in every gear position. Another more recent one to watch out for. I had tyres changed (30,000m), garage forgot to reset the tyre pressure monitor, so I took it back in. They spent an hour resetting it and said they had had problems, but, it was ok now. Got home , no problem. Locked the car, no problem. Next day zapped open ok, got to work and zapped locked, ok. Came to leave work and key remote would not activate anything. Wouldn't re lock or unlock doors or tailgate. Fortunately I tried the 'normal' key to open the door which worked but set the alarm off ( dealer said it wouldn't be it did). Once opened, zapped and been ok since. Dealer advises I carry the spare key everywhere !!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Zippy.This seems to be a problem specific to DS4 egs for which Citroen doesn't have a fix. The diagnostics show "no fault " where clearly there is. This doesn't inspire any confidence in the car, or Citroen for that matter. Its not the first time that Citroens response to a problem is to just deny it exists. Dshark, is that true about the gearbox. Mine is the short stick has this been replaced?.Thanks for the feedback.Good to know I'm not on my own

·
Registered
470 Posts
Notice that all the new units built mid- or late 2012 have a new automatic gearbox, at least in Poland such are on offer. For all I know these gearboxes replaced the French "short sticks". No reason was given however, but there's always a reason, isn't there? Interestingly, the new gearboxes no longer come with the electric handbrake.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks likea full automatic presumably, not the egs. I assume the egs box is the same

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It may be an option here, but it seems to be mainly egs here on the diesel model as its more "economical " than the traditional full auto

·
Registered
267 Posts
So far no issue with the gearbox- could it be the cold weather over in Uk? Mine mileage is about to reach 16000km and recently had the second service and updated egs softare upgrade. Have you had one done?

·
Registered
267 Posts
yes, in Malaysia from late 2012 onwards the DS4 no longer come with EGS gearbox but with Aisin-sourced full auto gearbox. Reason being the motorists here are more used to full auto, and not because EGS being a problematic gearbox. It is more due to driving preferences rather than any technical issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ajdar said:
So far no issue with the gearbox- could it be the cold weather over in Uk? Mine mileage is about to reach 16000km and recently had the second service and updated egs softare upgrade. Have you had one done?

Hi Ajdar,

Where u did EGS software upgrade?

Mine is also EGS and so far no problem encountered.

Also, I get my car last year Nov, and is among the last unit with EGS.

I still found EGS is somehow better driving pleasure in compare to fully auto.

At least, I feel more control on it..

·
Registered
267 Posts
I requested for it when i sent my car for the 15000km service recently....actually no problem before but i requested it anyway. The service centre recommended customers to request for it every time we come to send the car for service because Citroen France does come up with an EGS gearbox software update every now and then.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've already been down that road with no difference. I guess its worth another try. 30K service due soon

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Happened again today, just as I was parallel parking, car refused to get in gear, and in front of an audience of work colleagues to make matters worse
Back into Dealers again tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hutch
That happened to me, but not so public. It does seem that when you are shuffling between 1st - Reverse 'frequently' - as you do sometimes when parking , the gearbox gets 'confused' and loses the selection. Be interested in knowing what the Dealer says please.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will let you know when I finally get it into the dealers and get it back. Hopefully no more mishaps in the meantime.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As a matter of interest, when I drive in Manual mode, the egs overrides or limits my gear selection. I was driving in snow yesterday, tried to move up gear in Manual mode, but it wouldn't let me.Is this normal ?.If so, I can't really see the point of Manual mode

1 - 20 of 44 Posts