Citroen DS4 Forums banner

MPG

6K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Saeba 
#1 ·
I'm still really pissed off with the MPG I am getting from my HDI 110, I have done 9000 miles now and still only averaging 33.4 MPG, I contacted citroen a few months ago and they were absolutely no help. The book says it should be 48 MPG I know I would never get 48 but expected it to be at least 40! Is anyone else getting as poor figures as me?

#2 ·
I have the 2l HDI and just under 9k miles. Averaging 49.5mpg over the last two weeks with fairly mixed motoring.
I know its not the same engine but gives you an idea of how close to the theoretical published mpg (55mpg) I manage to get.

#4 ·
I've got the 1.6 diesel Style and, at the monent it is showing about 47 since I last filled up. I've left the second screen reading since I bought the car and it shows an average over nearly 7000 miles of 44.4.
With the mpg you say you are getting, assuming you aren't thrashing it, there seems to be something wrong.

#6 ·
I have the 200thp model and have not zero'd trip B since new now done 5250 miles and showing avg fuel at 38.6 i would have thought you would better that. Go back to the dealer

#8 ·
I just phoned citroen customer services and shock I got fobbed off, they are not interested at all that my car is sh*te on fuel!! They said I will have to have it checked at the dealer but the dealer won't look at it until I pay £90 to then be told they can't find anything wrong!

#9 ·
Baz1976, I am not qualified to give advice on Scots law, but if you were in England, I 'd say to pay the £90 to find out if anything is wrong. Like any claim, you need some kind of evidence that something is wrong with the car, though I accept that the low mileage itself is a pretty good clue!

If it does turn out to be a fault with the car, then I would expect them to sort it and refund the £90. If they don't turnanythingup, then I would suggest getting someone else to look at it, find the fault and put in a claim for the cost of the second opinion as well.

I read in another forum somewhere (though could be this one!) that someone had poor mpg and took it in and Citroen fiddled with the computer - whether that actually increased mpg or just made the numbers bigger on screen, who knows...

As an aside, have you tried manually calculating your mpg to double check the trip computer's figures?

#10 ·
Thanks for the reply, last may, June and July I worked out the MPG through an app and I was getting 39 then 42 then 44MPG that was town driving in may then June and July was mixed, but the last few months I have noticed a difference so I took note of the miles and it only gave me 33.4 MPG over the last 500 or so miles in town!

#11 ·
Baz 1976

I share your unhappiness. I have a 1.6 diesel 110 D Style with EGS. I have now done 31,000 miles and spent the first few months of ownership complaining to Citroen and the dealer re the poor fuel consumption. I get a solid average of 51 - 52 mpg ... much better than your figures but way short of the 64.9mpg average combined figure used in the sales literature. What are your journeys like ? I drive 2 x 50miles commute journeys each (week) day, some motorway some town some dual carriageway. At weekends journeys are much shorter and I notice a higher fuel consumption on those shorter journeys. Your 33mpg is a long way short of the 48mpg for (1.6 HDi 110 manual) urban driving in the literature. The responses I got from Citroen were polite but pointed out that the tests are carried out in laboratory conditions and results will vary with your driving style, apparently I drive very badly which is why I get such a poor consumption!!. The dealer was not interested either but did check the engine over Free of Charge. As expected, No Fault Found but things were slightly improved (about 3- 5 mpg) after a software upgrade which I think was related to the EGS gearbox so may not be relevant to your model. You could try writing to Citroen - there is a limited text box on the Citroen.co.uk website and they will reply usually by letter.

#12 ·
i have to agree here, i have concerns over mpg too.mine is 1.6 hdi 110 manual and i am getting average 38mpg
to be fair mine is mostly town driving with the odd 5 mile open road trip twice a day and the odd run out on week end.

i too have been back to dealership and asked questions
to be fair they did put car on computer re set settings ( no software upgrade as its on latest ) fre of charge.

i understand
it's winter and more things are on, on the car but its a far cry from the mpg stats they claim
i can't drive it any more sensible to achieve best mpg

i do like driving my car though :)

is there any way we can find out when new software updates are available??
my dealer told me they never know until they plug car in to computer

ant the latest update is almost a year old..

#14 ·
I have had the same experience with my 1.6d egs, nowhere near the advertised figure. Got the usual fob off from Citroen. What I find incredible is that they can claim such MPG figures when they have no basis in reality according to the posts here as well as my own experience.
Edited by: Hutch

#15 ·
ok so an update after been to citroen Friday and getting everything re set

looks like when car is on a run the mpg is much better...

today i went for a ride out

mostly A roads and about 15 miles of duel carriageway

yes i was been gentle to see if there were any changes

last time out on a run after 60 miles car ran 41mpg

this time i did 79 miles and averaged 57.6 on this tank of fuel so far car has done 236 miles with 472 leftyes i know town driving will be back to 38mpg but i am happy on a run car is getting better mpg

#17 ·
The figures they quote are government figures which are produced in a very sterile environment, flat road no wind perfect surface no loading in boot etc, look at the figures claimed and achieved when the likes of autoexpress do road tests. Most cars fall well off the govt figures. Auto/DSG boxes always seem to score worse than a manual on C02 figures yet they seem to be the gearbox that is used for stop start options?

Its a shame the Govt figures are not based on real life useage.

#18 ·
g-p-t .. since you mention winter fuel.. .. I don't know if you saw my post a few weeks ago about diesel waxing ? Air temp was only about minus 5C but car suffered from diesel waxing... lost power and engine management warning lit up. Citroen was ready for me (and others apparently), with a pre printed .. 'this is not a defect' notice for customers who had suffered diesel waxing -- so it wasn't just me. Citroen /dealer blame service stations for not using/supplying Winter fuel. I didn't see loads of other makes of car suffering though. Cost me £167 for a new fuel filter. Citroen said 'very sorry', but nothing to do with them. The dealer suggested using a fuel additive to lower the waxing point to about minus 20C -- which helpfully they don't sell!! Winter fuel lowers the waxing point to minus 5. What is strange, is last winter when I had this same car, I was driving in minus 10C without problem. Does not give you confidence in the car - shame given the car's attributes and the effort which has been put into design and build quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.