Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New DS4 Blue HDi 180 Review by Chris Evans in 'The Mail on Sunday'Slated the car
Worst car review he's ever posted
He said,
"I will be astonished if this car isn't in my bottom three come the end of the year.."

"OK, so the engine is Polar Bear friendly, has plenty of poke and is impressively economical, but not as economical as it would be if you didn't drive it at all. Which would be my recommendation"

Not good then...but its not an 'Evans' type car really is it?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just read it. He hasn't got a good word to say for it, which suggests to me that he started off as 'anti'.
Anyway, those of us who own a DS4 know how we feel, which is much more important.
( I took two friends on a walking trip to the Lake District recently. They both own newish Mercs but were both impressed.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have read the Chris Evans review as well..always thought he was a**** just confirmed it...compair his review to the one by Top Gear they actually got the DS4...it is difficult to accept they are talking about the same car.
Top Gear..like a C4 but cool and desirable...Chris Evans will be in my bottom three cars this year who is this car for.. well people like me getting on a bit but wanting a stylish and not common car, don't sit in the back couldn't couldn't care if the windows don't open it is after all a coupe but with rear doors.

Edited by: Chris

·
Registered
41 Posts
This review made me laugh......
He goes on about the rear door shape, a bit pointless or not as the case may be :) and the front seats being not sporty or sumptuous which for me they're perfect as I drive mine daily. Rear seating space is well known, it would be a bit tight for 2 adults but have any of you bought one for this purpose on a regular basis? Plenty of other cars about if you want to be a taxi.

Not sure about the cabin lighting or the handbrake, I have the older version and I have no problems with either. I had an electronic handbrake on an Astra Sri I used to own, it was horrendous, I don't even notice it on my DS4. As for the volume and air con controls, he must have hands like Kenny Everetts 'Brother Lee Love'http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4FgwEYIQAEtqWC.jpg

Its obvious from the beginning he doesn't like it and he's just nitpicking but maybe it's just all based around the price? If it was £20000 would it be a great car? I bought mine used, one owner with 8000 mile on it, don't even know what price they go for new but I love mine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
He's a glorified DJ, not a motoring journalist. Enough said...

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TheBadgerJC said:
He's a glorified DJ, not a motoring journalist. Enough said...
Unfortunately the readers of the MOS are many and varied.
Damage could be done already.....But rightly said, for those of us that have one, the review is somewhat flawed

·
Registered
88 Posts
I really shouldn't have been surprised about Chris Evans review..he did a similar hatchet job on the Quashgai, also gave that a single star which is the opposite to every other professional review.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The DS4 is a marmite car, we all think it's great but some people won't get it - ever.

They're entitled to their opinion and that's fine, I just don't agree with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The guy is so far up himself, its unreal........ lets be honest, unless its badged as a Ferrari they he isn't interested...............

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just bought a ds4, I got it 3 days ago to replace my Megane coupe I had for 3 years. While I was waiting I checked out every YouTube video and read a lot of reviews. All seemed luke warm towards the car and seemed to focus on vague steering, the shape of the rear doors and the fact the rear windows don't roll down.
I collected my car Friday and I absolutely love it. There is more room in the back than the Megane - I'm 6 foot and can fit more comfortably behind my own seat than I could in the Megane. It does seem the motoring press are against it. I may call my car Donald!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Donald. Ha, I love it !

Yes its a somewhat selfish car for all the above reasons, I was aware of them all when I bought mine and I still love it.
They're very stylish, uncommon and there's plenty of room for me and the missus, which suits me down to the ground.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Chris Evans is a
douche. He managed to make/kill Top Gear just by being annoying and chase most of the fans away in the process. Plus he's clearly not in touch with what regular people drive on a daily basis

I must admit my DS4 Crossback has had it's gremlins, but I still enjoy it compared to other cars I've driven

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well the ds4 is never going to light the road on fire it is what it is something a little different from all normal 5 door hatchbacks and at some angles it looks as good as any german car, and drives no worse if not better! Chris evans you [email protected]!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I changed my Cactus for my Crossback. On the whole the Cactus got excellent reviews for ride, practicality e.t.c. I'm not knocking the Cactus it's a nice quirky car but it did fall down in a lot of areas. No split rear seat (only available on some newer models) no rear courtesy lights, no one touch front windows and only slightly better rear windows, they pop open about an inch or two, so children aren't able to be sick out of them either which a lot of journalists failed to mention but not about the DS4. The Cactus ride is no where as good as the DS4, I have 19" on mine compared to 17" on the Cactus. It's also amuck quieter ride, I appreciate that the DS4is in a different price bracket.

Like others I did a lot of research on the DS4 and was aware of all its foibles which do not affect me. I just love the car.

As the saying goes "jack of of all trades and master of none" and this certainly applies to Chris Evans.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hmm - don't agree with Mr Shouty Evans on very much at all - but - my last car was a C4 1.6hdi with an EGS gearbox (2007) It was absolutely BRILLIANT! The best gearbox I have ever had. Normal everyday mode and sport mode which made lightening quick gear changes when you want.Now I have a DS4 1.6hdi with EGS. The same engine, the same gearbox - but not the same software. Sport mode gone. Stupid mode installed as standard for permanent use. Slow gear changes and gear changes when you don't want them and even in manual mode it decides when - and if - you can have a gear. The car I like, the gearbox software I hate. Why can't I have the old software loaded in I don't know. It's driven me to try and find a replacement. I want a flappy paddle gearbox with with a fast change and the same sort of body/comfort as the DS4. But - I can't find one!
VW DSG - no flappy padles unless its a GTI, Ford, only on a Kuga (too big) or a 1 litre Fiesta (too small). Nearest I have found is the Toyota offerings which add a few thousand pounds which I would not pay.

So - what am I going to do? Stay with the DS4 which could be much better with software changes for my model of car (which is a pity as they had it right in 2007) - but I still can't find one which is a better car overall currently.

Chris Evans - I'll continue to ignore him as before - paper hat

·
Read Only
48 Posts
rovamota said:
We could have all gone and bought a Ford Focus. How dreary would that be?
Not dreary at all, I have a Focus ST, as well as the DS4. It's funny how some people on here don't like their own car being criticised, but are quite prepared to criticise others.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts