DS4OwnersClub.co.uk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all you ds4 owners, nice to find a forum for other owners,I got a white 2011 dsstyle, 1.6diesel with the EGS6 gearboxform Citroen city a few weeks ago, it was owned by some one who works there has 14000 miles on the clock.

I v got a bit of an issue though, not sure if it a fault or not,

its regarding the start stop (eco) system sometimes it works some time it wont (50/50),
i know it been cold but last week i did a 20 mile drive (it was showing -1 on the outside temp) and still when i stopped the eco light just flashed.

however leaving the car parked for a while on return it worked.

i just cant put my finger on whats making it not work ie temp or an intammitant fault

when i test drove it for a few miles i commented that ididn'tsee it go into stop mode, the sales man put it down to it not being used for a few days.

It seems to work when its a bit warmer out side, but only having it for a few weeks i cant be sure.

Itssupposedto warm up a bittomorrowso hopefully i can confirm

Iv raised the issue with the dealer but thay have not got back to me

iv read the manual and checked to see what will disable it.

also switched off the heating when its not working.

it seem to be once the car has made it mind up it not going to work it wont !

my wifes got a new C3 which is manual but still has start stop and hers still is working fine after a few milesdespiteit being below 0 outside.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi and welcome .The problem might be the battery,it needs to be fully charged if its less than 80% it wont allow the start stop to work . If the car has been standingfor a while or started moved a few feet then turned off it will have run down and they dont recharge fully by been run about . This was a fault I experienced with a BMW and the wifes 500 . I would take it back to the dealer and get them sort it out,the wifes car was less than a year old, a pre reg and needed a new battery because it had been left flat and then charged up when they knew we were going to look at it .

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, however it appears to betemperaturerelated as now its working as i would expect now that its slightlye warmer.

It seems that if it below around 3 c it probably wont go into stop mode.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still havingintermittent issues with start stop not working, got it booked in to my local dealer next week forinterrogationand also to check egs gearbox softwareversion.

Fingerscrossedit shows the fault

will post there findings

·
Registered
267 Posts
G_p_t.....pls let us know how you get on with the EGS software update. My dealer over here has been keeping mum about it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took my ds4 to cooks in Peterborough on Monday andreceived excellent service,left it with them all day.
They updated 2 systems the egs6 gearbox system and engine management system.They also had to give my battery a really good charge,

This seems to have done the trick with the eco system, i have done 3 trips since and its working as i would have expected it to

The egs does seem a little different,definitelyfor the better

All in all i feel much happier now with the car, i hate it when something isnt working correctly !

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spoke too soon eco system back to being cranky ..

·
Registered
268 Posts
Is it not just the cold temp at the mo, the system protecting itself in not draining the battery?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Gpt- when they updated your gearbox and engine management system, was it instructed by Citroen France ?
Appreciate your kind advise. Do you drive with auto or manual mode?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ajdar said:
Gpt- when they updated your gearbox and engine management system, was it instructed by Citroen France ?
Appreciate your kind advise. Do you drive with auto or manual mode?

I had to ask for it to be done they didnt come to me..

Inormallydrive in auto mode but i do like the quicker gear change when in manual, so if i want to drive quicker i usually use manual mode..

The update did improve things and the gear change is quicker in manual mode than it was.

You will just need to keep nagging your dealer if you want it done..

·
Registered
267 Posts
Agreed- the service center seems to be mum about it. Looks like i have to pester them for quite a bit to have the software update done,

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still got issues with the eco start stop system ,, it dont work at all now.

afterreadingthis ireckonthebattery isnot up to it any more and will need replacing

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/06/the-shocking-truth-about-start-stop-systems/

car booked inagainthisThursdayforfurtherinvestigation..

If it isbatteryi hope it will be sorted under warranty !

·
Registered
312 Posts
Like I said earlier,it was the battery not holding enough charge on my wifes Fiat 500. It had been left standingby the dealer whilst they were trying to sell it andthe battery had run down and been left flat, the battery was damaged by been left so it would not hold a full charge . The dealer replaced the battery free of charge as she had only had the car a week,the dealer covered the cost as it was their fault. I think Citroen will refuse the claim because it was the dealers fault. Not being negative but think you should know what you may be up against,the dealer should pay but you might have to argue.Good luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good luck with that.Just checked mine today and it is intermittent, it engages sometimes, but not always. The ignition always re-engages after about 90 seconds, even before moving off.I assume its a function of battery charge, which may, in turn, be a function of temperature as you use more heating elements.I do wonder about the wear and tear on battery and ignition systems from this technology. I also wonder how much it impacts on fuel consumption as the consumption on my 1.6hdi is nothing to write home about.Let us know how you get on with dealer and if the battery resolves the problem.

·
Registered
268 Posts
This sort oftechnology has to hammer batteries, these cars have a lot of electric stuff on them without the stop start, its not something I would want on my car. Hope you get this sorted guys.
Is this PSA's first venture into Stop Start?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Its possible to disable the eco.I'd like to understand the pro - cons and if its worth the limited fuel savings.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hutch said:
Its possible to disable the eco.I'd like to understand the pro - cons and if its worth the limited fuel savings.

5th gear did a real life test around town got an extra 10mpg in a renault orpugthey were using

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SBK61 said:
Like I said earlier,it was the battery not holding enough charge on my wifes Fiat 500. It had been left standingby the dealer whilst they were trying to sell it andthe battery had run down and been left flat, the battery was damaged by been left so it would not hold a full charge . The dealer replaced the battery free of charge as she had only had the car a week,the dealer covered the cost as it was their fault. I think Citroen will refuse the claim because it was the dealers fault. Not being negative but think you should know what you may be up against,the dealer should pay but you might have to argue.Good luck.

I dont think the car had been standing very long at all, but i know thepreviousowner was someone who worked at that garage, (which is in the middle ofLondon)so it could be that it has gone through a hell of a lot of start stop cycles !

I dont understand why they still use lead acid batteries, lithium is so much better for responding to quick charges and discharges and not as effected by cold weather.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hutch said:
Good luck with that.Just checked mine today and it is intermittent, it engages sometimes, but not always. The ignition always re-engages after about 90 seconds, even before moving off.I assume its a function of battery charge, which may, in turn, be a function of temperature as you use more heating elements.I do wonder about the wear and tear on battery and ignition systems from this technology. I also wonder how much it impacts on fuel consumption as the consumption on my 1.6hdi is nothing to write home about.Let us know how you get on with dealer and if the battery resolves the problem.

At least yours is working to some extent, the re-starting works on using thealternatorinreverse, where as theinitialstarting uses theconventionalstarter motor.

It alsodependson the tempyou set it to for in the car as well, but it still wont stop with heating off and only side lights on which are all led i think so nothing taxing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
In that case it sounds like there could be a fault with the system, or settings need adjustment.Let us know what dealer concludes.I'm sure they will give you an objective assessment . Edited by: Hutch

1 - 20 of 35 Posts