Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at personalising my number plate, and just noticed they are not screwed on. I may be being abit anal but how do I change them ???

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi Ben,Mine is stuck on with double sided tape, although I have seen some DS4s with screws.

Don't know what you are planning but you should be aware that DVLA/Police are sticklers for incorrect fonts /spacing on number plates now. There are only 2 legal fonts now any 'show plate' fonts are not road legal and would fail MOT and could also get you pulled.
All to do with ANPR (Auto number Plate Recognition) cameras which are now on most main road junctions to monitor criminals / terrorists etc.
Previously i had kit car JBA Falcon and got black/white older plates as they looked better on car - was stopped several times (luckily had std plates in boot, so never got fines). Couple of friends in Cobras got fines and failed MOTs for non std plates - so be warned.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that mate, didn't want to yank it off causing more probs down the line, I am getting my personalised plate from the DVLA, robbing gits charge a fortune

·
Registered
395 Posts
Chud786 -not technically true, there is a standard font spec, which lists sizes, not italic etc, but as long as you conform to its spec any font will do. In UK 2 fonts have these qualities and can be read by ANPR, so could be still used on number plates. HM Govt recommends one only of course! http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/~/media/pdf/leaflets/INF104.ashx

·
Registered
551 Posts
I was looking for some different plates a while back and that's how I came across the information.After a careful read andanalysesI can see what you are saying,should have known that anything to do with the government wouldn't be straight forward.
I wonder if the police know!
Do you have an example of the 2 fonts for comparison?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ben.greenaway said:
Thanks for that mate, didn't want to yank it off causing more probs down the line, I am getting my personalised plate from the DVLA, robbing gits charge a fortune
If you warm the plate gently with a hair dryer or VERY gently with a paint stripper hot air gun it will come off easier

·
Registered
395 Posts
Chud786 wroteDo you have an example of the 2 fonts for comparison?

Chud - Unfortunately not their names, as they are not the standard Microsoft word type fonts, such as Ariel, Times Roman (that would have been too easy!). I was shown both examples by a number plate firm. To be honest apart from slight changes (shorter middle line in E etc) they were near as damn it the same font anyway.

·
Registered
551 Posts
rich.cath said:
Chud786 wroteDo you have an example of the 2 fonts for comparison?

Chud - Unfortunately not their names, as they are not the standard Microsoft word type fonts, such as Ariel, Times Roman (that would have been too easy!). I was shown both examples by a number plate firm. To be honest apart from slight changes (shorter middle line in E etc) they were near as damn it the same font anyway.

Oh well!
No chance of being different then!
I liked the 3D and carbon ones.
"Big Brother"and all that eh!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Can you personalize your plates in Britain by putting a word, a nick or something? For instance, first two letters indicating the county and then CHUD or SHARK or DS4 or whatever... it's possible in Poland for additional charge.

·
Registered
395 Posts
DShark maybe but not exactly as you say - UK number plates are released in chronological order. Latest plates have 2 letter regional town, then 2 number date, followed by 3 letters. So only customise here is last three letters, unless first 2 + numbers happen to fit. Older plates can be bought which may be personalised but you cannot create them, firms will just source your request to see if available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts