Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd be a first time Citroen owner if I were to go for this deal so I'd appreciate advice on the following, how's it for a deal? What are the possible issues with this model? Can my trusted mechanic service and fix it easily enough when the time comes? Any tips to help me bargain a better price with the salesman.

http://www.citroenretailgroup.co.uk/used-view-model-MJ63FFT-Citroen-DS4

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
544 Posts
A couple of things on that particular car;

It needs to have had its first service as it was registered over 12 months ago (16th October 2013); the DW6 engine does not like old oil, it eventually blows the turbo on them. Find out who did it, and frankly don't take a promise to have it done if it's not been; walk away.

You can get this serviced by your friendly mechanic but there is a specific bulletin to follow on the DW6 as the sump plug is in the centre of the sump and recessed, along with the small 3.6L sump if not done properly you end up with too much old oil in on each change and eventually it blocks the oil feed pipe to the turbo, the end result is a blown turbo. It also needs a low SAPS oil and the genuine PSA filter to be used.

That car does not have Xenon lights fitted.

The EGS gearbox is an automated manual, it's actually a manual gearbox with an automated clutch and electronic selection; good points, economy doesn't suffer over a manual and the performance is also comparable. Bad points? Across various cars in the PSA group this gearbox can have issues; the output bearing shaft can go which is signified by a 'whining' at about 37mph (to be accurate) which either needs a £800 rebuild if dealt with promptly or £2,500 bill for a new gearbox. They don't all go but having been a C4 picasso owner for a number of years (where loads are EGS models), it's frighteningly common.

If you want an auto DS4 then buy a proper 2.0HDi with the bomb-proof traditional slusher would be my advice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2.0Hdi automatic and I would recommend it. It has plenty of power and the change of gear is very smooth, unlike the EGS, which can be jerky according the press reports. The other advantage of the torque converter automatic, which Frank didn't mention, is that it does away with the dual mass flywheel, which manuals and the EGS need. You may be aware that DMFs have been showing a weakness on diesel engines in recent years, due to the higher torque created by diesels, so the torque converter automatic gearbox removes this possible problem. A downside of the torque converter automatic is the higher fuel consumption. However after 5000 miles, I'm getting about 42mpg in mixed driving and speeds and I don't drive to be economical. I think this is quite a good 'real' consumption for such a powerful, comfortable car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
An afterthought. Like many cars these days, the DS4 comes with a tyre repair kit, rather than a spare wheel. Whatever car you buy, negotiate a spare wheel in lieu of the puncture repair kit. If needed the repair kits don't always work and, if they do work, the tyre cannot be salvaged - there is no opportunity to repair the hole. When I was buying I was told that there is not a spare available for the DSport's 19 inch wheels, which was one of the reasons I bought a DStyle and had a space saver wheel, which sits in the boot well and came with a jack etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers, I bought a spare with my current car as it came with one of the silly tyre inflation kits which as you say make the tyre unsalvagable and, something I didn't know until recently they have a shelf life.

For £50 I got a full size spare (albeit 16" but, with the same rolling radius as my 18s when you take sidewall depth into consideration), jack, wheel brace, little plastic tweezer contraption for taking the plastic nut caps off and some sort of torx driver which is for what, I don't know. However, on my motor there's no jacking points ...... SKODA GENIUS' AT WORK AGAIN!!!!! So, I got myself a 5 ton trolley jack for £20 from Lidl which has actually turned out to be a god send as it's so much easier, sturdier and a heck of a lot quicker than any normal in car jack. It made swapping over to my winters a couple of weekends ago a doddle, well, up to the point where my locking wheel nut key broke on the 4th and final wheel

Edited by: Torque

·
Registered
544 Posts
I retro fitted the spare wheel kit, the whole shooting match was about £170.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is similar to my car although I deliberately avoided the automatic gear box after comments on the web. The Babylon Red looks great when clean, quite dull when dirty, but that's to be expected.
1.6 HDI has enough power and torque for me and I'm still pleased with the car after 1 year and 20k miles.

MSH

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back again after going for a Honda last time and regretting it, anyway, I have the opportunity to get a 2014 DS4 2.0 HDI DSTYLE AUTO with 19000 miles on the clock or, should that one go, a 2013 2.0 same spec with 20000 miles on the clock, any pointers over and above what's already been said for when I go and have a look and test drive?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts