Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just joined hoping for some advice. I am looking at getting either a THP 200 or a HDI 160 and a remap (to approx 200).

There appears to be little difference between the models for tax, but fuel consumption better on diesel (as expected), and seems to be around 10mpg better, insurance not an issue but what about ongoing maintenance and overall reliability? Diesel appears to be much better for cambelt replacement interval opposed to cam chain maybe having problems on the petrol? Anything else or other advice? TIA

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Hi QMWelcome to the Forum
If you do a quick search there may me a few answers for you already
Happy searching
Chris

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome, we test drove both models back to back, both were a couple of years old and had done about 30k miles.

As the owner of a Supercharged mx5 I went with expectation of much preferring the THP model but having drove them back to back I felt there was almost no difference between them in drivability and performance. The thp didn't feel as quick as I expected, and although it isn't, the HDi feels quicker with the extra low down torque. For me there was insufficient performance advantage with the thp to offset the lower fuel economy, significantly lower towing capacity (although have no plans to tow anything,but the thp would exclude most Caravans and loaded car trailers). I think the petrol will also be more difficult to sell in future as it's more of a niche model.

Most of those things didn't actually matter to us, we don't do big mileage, don't have a caravan and are unlikely to sell it before is essentially worthless, but I was just a little underwhelmed by the thp, maybe because it was trying to be a performance model with the dump valve noise etc, where as the diesel felt like a very good diesel and a little more grown up. We didn't buy either of those actual cars are we wanted the new car feel and neither of them had it but we did buy a beautiful fully loaded 160 DSport a few days later that was just a few months old and haven't regreted it for a second.

Edited by: Becki_Justin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Chris/Becki,

Thanks; I thought that may be the case. I haven't test driven either model yet so that will probably confirm the same I imagine. No plans to tow etc... but a remapped diesel model might be the way to go for the increased bhp/torque etc..

Nice looking car in your pic (shame about the Robbie CD!) ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Lol, couldn't agree more, although having a 9 month old means it is sadly not even the worst cd in the car!!

The main reliability concern with most diesels and these are no exception, is the particulate filter, but if you do a hot run fairly regularly to allow the particles to burn off then it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Would definately suggest you drive both back to back if you can find a dealer with both in, but that's not easy as their aren't many 200s about Edited by: Becki_Justin

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well i have the 2.Hdi Dsport and had mine remapped to 190bhp and have to say it is unbelievable and also a 30 increase in torgue.

I had the remapped done professionally with a rolling road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.