Citroen DS4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

We're looking to replace my partner's car, a 2003 Mini Cooper Auto, and have been to have a look at a petrol 1.6 THP 'auto' DS4, but I have a question for you please.

Doing my research, I notice that Citroen have recently changed the gearbox from the EGS, an automated clutch manual box I think (?), to a regular torque converter auto gearbox, which has had a significant negative effect on the claimed fuel consumption and road fund licence rates.

So, does anyone know why this has happened, for example are there reliabilty/driveability issues with the EGS box?

I'm also interested to know how close the existing owners are getting to the claimed fuel consumption figures?

Finally, are there any EGS/Auto owners in the Rugby/Coventry area who would be willing to talk to us and show us their car?

Thanks everyone

Steve & Anely

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, I don't know why the EGS box is not available. I have a 1.6 diesel with the EGS box and I must admit did have a problem with the EGS in its auto mode which has only recently been resolved by the dealer when they discovered an sizeable update available to the software from Citroen. Since that the box has been much more efficient and feels much more responsive and smooth in auto. Problem did not occur in manual. Whether this has anything to do with the box not being available I have no idea. Takes a while to get used to the box and it won't suit everybody. Surprisingly you can still use the flippers when in auto if needed (for overtaking for example). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for that. Could explain the higher fuel consumption in my 1.6D. Other than that EGS is fine, if a bit indecisive sometimes in lower gears. You can use the flippers in such situations. I'm going to check out that Software upgrade though

·
Registered
24 Posts
Surprised you have low fuel consumption with EGS6 - I previously had a 1.6HDI C4 Coupe with manual box and the DS4EGS box returns lower fuel consumption than that ever did . Incidentally it occcurs to me that EGS6 is probably better suited to a diesel eengine due to smaller rev differences for the electronic change to cope with which maqy explain why it's not available on the petrol engine.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was surprised as well. particularly when I based my purchase on the quoted consumption figures . it does rev high on low gear changes, so I'm hoping a software tweek could improve things

1 - 5 of 5 Posts