Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've had a C4 Coupe HDi 110 EGS since 2006, and am considering replacing in the coming year. The DS4 is a natural successor, but I have some reservations. Any comments welcome:

1) The EGS gearbox on my C4 had to be replaced after 2.5 yrs (under warranty). I also find that it is slow to change up the gears, especially 1 to 2, and waits until higher revs than necessary (which means passengers always assume is my driving style). Is the EGS gearbox in the DS4 any better than the 2006 EGS box in the C4?

2) I understand the built-in Sat Nav in the DS4 is pretty poor. Or at least in the sense that is doesn't do full post-codes. As much as I like my portable TomTom, having a decent built in satnav is important these days, and I have to say, the built in TomTom on the Renault Scenic we have is good.

3) Does anyone consider the Renault Captur a viable alternative to the DS4, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers

·
Registered
551 Posts
Welcome JbfbCan't comment on the EGS
The sat nav is not the best but it has always got me where I need to go
As for the comparing the Capture and DS4,to me they are two different types of car so I
don't see how you can compare them.
I'm sure you will make the right choice

·
Registered
164 Posts
Your description of the egs describes the egs on the DS4 perfectly. Particularly up shift from 1st to 2nd. The main saving grace is the paddle. For other gears, transition is quite OK.

·
Registered
227 Posts
jimbobfruitbat said:
Hi,

I've had a C4 Coupe HDi 110 EGS since 2006, and am considering replacing in the coming year. The DS4 is a natural successor, but I have some reservations. Any comments welcome:

1) The EGS gearbox on my C4 had to be replaced after 2.5 yrs (under warranty). I also find that it is slow to change up the gears, especially 1 to 2, and waits until higher revs than necessary (which means passengers always assume is my driving style). Is the EGS gearbox in the DS4 any better than the 2006 EGS box in the C4?

2) I understand the built-in Sat Nav in the DS4 is pretty poor. Or at least in the sense that is doesn't do full post-codes. As much as I like my portable TomTom, having a decent built in satnav is important these days, and I have to say, the built in TomTom on the Renault Scenic we have is good.

3) Does anyone consider the Renault Captur a viable alternative to the DS4, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers
A pretty fair sum up of the situation with EGS and SatNav in the DS I would say. I have the AirDream DS with Eco, and I have to admit the gearchage is starting to bug me a little. Maybe I am at that transition point that the novelty of if is starting to wear off but the "best" way to drive with it and its quirks have not yet kicked in (that's my hope!) . I was about to pull out of a junction the other day and it suddenly decided to cut the engine momentarily. Not a good time to happen and if it happened 1/2 a second later, I could have had a close encounter of the unwanted kind

Ref the Captur, it really is a different type of vehicle to the DS, but if the criteria is having something a little bit different and off-stream, then the Captur and the DS both fit the the bill IMO.
As I as musing about signing on the dotted line on the DS, I wandered round the Renault showroom next door to Citroen, saw the Captur and had a look around and thought it looked really fun, especially in the bronze Orange and Black two-tone finish (I just happen to love that colour combo anyway
) . It does seem a bit more ulitarian and not as classy as the DS, but targeting different market I would say. I think the Captur would be a good option actually if it ticked the main boxes
Edited by: Hoovie

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the 1.6hdi egs as well, im sure they could tweek the software some more and make it so much better.

I dont know if you owners have noticed but when its cold (first few mins only) and you pull off gently it will change from 1st to 2nd much sooner (and quicker) than after a couple of mins driving.

I just wish it stayed like that !

Also im sure they could have devised it with a 'sport' switch with quicker change up time (so you can choose) , cause if you floor it the gear changers are very quick indeed.

One last rant , why the heck does it redline in 1st when you floor it ? it has much more pull in 2nd !!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Cant comment on the EGS but the sat nav does what it says on the tin! Inputting the address can be tedious but it works well, never let me down.
My experience with previous Renaults is poor, wouldnt touch them anymore, dont have the ride or spark of a Citroen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for the feedback (for some reason I didn't get notifications of all the replies hence my late reply).

I sat in the Captur, and ruled it out immediately. It is utilitarian, and plasticky inside.

I was about to buy a Seat Leon, as I was convinced that the VAG DSG would be the only improvement upon the EGC, but have decided to at least test drive a DS4 with EGS, on the basis that the dealer has assurred me that EGC has improved since 2006, and now has a "creep" function, and changes smoother.

That said, the comments above all seem to sound like nothing has actually improved, especially the changes from 1st to 2nd (as well as the red-lining in 1st!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Am also going to look at the DS5 - I ancticipate it will be heavily discounted. May be an option, unless EGS is still poor.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The egs (on mine anyway) does not creep like full autos do, you have to give it a few revs to go.Best bet is to try one out and see what you think.

Try driving slowly and try gunning it to get a feel.

You can drive them very smoothly in manual mode as long as you lift the accelerator a tad as you change up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so I test drove both a C4 1.6HDi EGS and a DS4 1.6HDi manual, on the basis that the EGS gearbox is common to both.

My conclusion is that EGS has improved a little since 2006. It does creep from standstill, however only after a pause I noticed, and if you accellerate hard after it has crept forward, it still seems to pause a little. Still compared to the DSG in the Seat Leon and Octavia I tried, EGS isn't as good.

The new C4 did seem quieter than my 7 yr old C4 too. Not sure if that is down to the EGS avoiding high revving too much.

I didn't try the DS5, though I was told that it has something else now, not EGS (a later generation of computer controlled auto apparently). That said, the brochures still call it EGS.

·
Registered
55 Posts
jimbobfruitbat said:
OK, so I test drove both a C4 1.6HDi EGS and a DS4 1.6HDi manual, on the basis that the EGS gearbox is common to both.

My conclusion is that EGS has improved a little since 2006. It does creep from standstill, however only after a pause I noticed, and if you accellerate hard after it has crept forward, it still seems to pause a little. Still compared to the DSG in the Seat Leon and Octavia I tried, EGS isn't as good.

The new C4 did seem quieter than my 7 yr old C4 too. Not sure if that is down to the EGS avoiding high revving too much.

I didn't try the DS5, though I was told that it has something else now, not EGS (a later generation of computer controlled auto apparently). That said, the brochures still call it EGS.

. If you're determined to go for an auto you should choose the seat Leon with the dsg box which is superb, I had a vw passat with dsg box which was brilliant before my ds4 and I too was initially going for the auto but changed my mind after reading posts on this forum so went for the dsport 2.0 ltr manual which is a great car, let us all know what you decide on good luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
For auto transmission, VW group DSG is probably the best (IMO).EGS is a different beast. Was in a Citroen dealer yesterday and he told me the 2014 egs is much smoother and quicker change. Might be worth checking out. For me, the egs is the only thing between me and a buying anotherDS4. If they come up with a better egs I would certainly consider another DS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts