Citroen DS4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Fellow Ds4 owners, I have annoyingly scuffed my 19" rim on a kerb. Any quick way of disguising the roughage ?????

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine is scuffed on the very edge by the tyre and I know I haven't kerbed it ,so I haven't got a clue how it got there . I got a price for a refurb (£160)and decide to just brush some clear lacquer on it . It's not perfect but its less noticeable, I'll put it down to wear and tear, the car is nearly two years old .

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's a thread on here that shows "AlloygAtors".... they're good for protection and cover-up, although you need to be sure that the scuff is waxed or lacquered to waterproof it before it's covered.

·
Registered
227 Posts
SBK61 said:
Mine is scuffed on the very edge by the tyre and I know I haven't kerbed it ,so I haven't got a clue how it got there . I got a price for a refurb (£160) and decide to just brush some clear lacquer on it . It's not perfect but its less noticeable, I'll put it down to wear and tear, the car is nearly two years old .
The lacquer protection on the diamond-cut wheels very from minimal to virtually non-existant, so that scuffing could be from the slightest misalignment of a tyre changing machine, or maybe a fly hit the wheel at 3MPH.
£160 is a little rich for a refurb. I have a tyre dealer who has a full refurb business and their standard retail rate to fully remachine a two-tone diamond-cut alloy is around £150 I think, and if the damage is minimal, the charge would drop as the work needed would drop.

While the Alloygators are very good, I would be wary of using AlloyGators to cover up damage on a DC wheel as corrosion on those kind of wheels spread VERY fast and UNDER the lacquer, so if the corrosion is not removed, it WILL spread!Edited by: Hoovie

·
Registered
578 Posts
SBK61 said:
Mine is scuffed on the very edge by the tyre and I know I haven't kerbed it ,so I haven't got a clue how it got there . I got a price for a refurb (£160)and decide to just brush some clear lacquer on it . It's not perfect but its less noticeable, I'll put it down to wear and tear, the car is nearly two years old .
Where did you get the clear lacquer from? how much?

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can get pretty good aerosol Clearcoat (lacquer) from UPOL which should do the job with a few coats and a hairdryer to cure after the last layer

Took my DS4 in for its 12,000 service and had a 13 Plate DS4 with 8k miles as a loan car ... Just needed one more wheel done and it would have had the complete set of 4 kerbed alloys!

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you're going to lacquer your wheels you want to clean them down with a good alloy wheel cleaner, then wash them and dry them fully. If you want a good lacquer I would suggest "Wurth" clear lacquer. If you're only interested in doing the front of the wheel then two tins would do all 4 wheels with 3 layers. after that I then used a heavy duty wax and then your wheels are set for 4-6 months at least. I would seriously recommend doing it as with the harsh winter apparently coming the road salt will ruin most alloy wheels that aren't properly protected

·
Registered
227 Posts
Newkiebrown said:
If you're going to lacquer your wheels you want to clean them down with a good alloy wheel cleaner, then wash them and dry them fully. If you want a good lacquer I would suggest "Wurth" clear lacquer. If you're only interested in doing the front of the wheel then two tins would do all 4 wheels with 3 layers. after that I then used a heavy duty wax and then your wheels are set for 4-6 months at least. I would seriously recommend doing it as with the harsh winter apparently coming the road salt will ruin most alloy wheels that aren't properly protected
Especially the diamond cut wheels fitted to the DS4s !!Mine will be going away for the winter, safe into storage bags after a through wash, dry and wax, and old 307 alloys going on the car until Spring

·
Registered
312 Posts
Rev G said:
SBK61 said:
Where did you get the clear lacquer from? how much?
I got a tube of brush on clear lacquer from Halfords and it cost less than £5 . The scuffis only about 50mm long and 2 to 3 mm tall, you have to get down on your knees to see it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts